Re: [Spridgets] OT - Motorcycles

To: Don Marshall <donmarshall@nefcom.net>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] OT - Motorcycles
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:15:37 -0500
It's an interesting concept, I'll say that for it.  Having ridden more
than a few miles on bikes very much like this back in the () old days
(note I omit the word "good"), I am not too sure I'd want to step back
into that era of Brit iron again.  I can very comfortably put 600 mile
days on my oldest BMW. I doubt I could do half that on a BSA, Royal
Enfield or Triumph frame of this era. Moreover, having owned
"chainless" bikes for the past 40 years, I wouldn't want to go back
the the chain hassle (tension and lube - sprocket and link wear and
tear - stretching...etc).  These bikes have an eye appeal, but no
*ride* appeal to someone who rides alot. Rich man's toy, perhaps?

The motorcycle community has also not had the best of luck with the
modern Royal Enfield machines. They are made in India nowadays and
while the quality is certainly better than the Russian and Chinese
made machines, it falls a bit short of the old UK made Royal Enfields
which were, themselves, no monolith to motorcycle quality and
reliability.

Cheers!!
Jim
1964 R60/2 BMW
1976 R90/6 BMW
1989 K100LT BMW
Obligatory 1968 MG Midget

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Macy Larry <lmacy@mac.com> wrote:
> Well, since I saw a bunch of blather about motorcycles and custom
motorcycles on the list lately, I thought I would share this.

> A colleague and friend at Penn is in the side business of building custom
motorcycles. His first is called the Jack Pine and has been reviewed
enthusiastically by a number of motorcycle pubs. The Jack Pine is a customized
Triumph and relates back to older Triumph styles and riding.

> NFI, just sharing
>
> http://hammarhead.com
>
> Larry
>

> --
>
> Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
> macy@upenn.edu
> Senior IT Program Director
> Neuropsychiatry Section
> Department of Psychiatry
> University of Pennsylvania
> 3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
> Philadelphia, PA 19104
>

> One of these days, you'll look back on all this, and plow into a parked
car.

> --
>
> Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
> macy@upenn.edu
> Senior IT Program Director
> Neuropsychiatry Section
> Department of Psychiatry
> University of Pennsylvania
> 3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
> Philadelphia, PA 19104
>
> "Now there is one outstandingly important fact regarding Spaceship Earth,
and that is that no instruction book came with it." --Buckminster Fuller
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/bmwwxman@gmail.com

--
Cheers!!
Jim