Re: [Spridgets] Orvis Landy

To: <WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com>, <peter@nosimport.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Orvis Landy
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 07:48:05 +0100
Yes, they can.  Have you seen the result of doing that to the 1960's  Land
Rover 4 cyl,  two and a quarter engine?  It didn't kindly to being modified!
Heads were rather suspect, valves and piston tops would melt and gaskets
blew much too easily.  The later 1980's engine was better but still ran at a
low boost pressure.
The O.D. was easily fitted through the gearbox power take off hole and would
work in every gear.  It didn't do anything other than lower the acceleration
rate but it did raise the mpg by 2%.  One of the problems with a Land Rover
was the gearing and aerodynamics of a brick.  You could reach maximum revs
after a 5 mile run up and still only be doing 60 odd mph.  You rated the
speed by the vibration of the spare wheel on the hood and the distance the
front door tops flapped out from the bodywork.
The most effective mod was to replace the engine.  Most people went for the
Rover V8 but that could eat gearboxes and drive-shafts for fun.  The 3 litre
Ford V6 from a Transit or Capri (etc) wasn't too bad and Steve Parker
LandRovers did a nice kit for this, including a new nearside manifold.  This
changed the Land Rover into a vehicle that would accelerate but still give
you a good useable low end.  It took 2 hours off the journey from Manchester
to Exeter (250 miles).  The top speed wasn't that much better but you could
get up there within half a mile or so.

Guy  R Day