Re: [Spridgets] NOT spridget related - 94 Toyota Corolla strut

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] NOT spridget related - 94 Toyota Corolla strut
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:53:23 -0800
I just went through something similar with my daughter's 200SX. She got
hit when pulling out of a parking place. The front strut was bent along
with a bunch of fender damage.

The struts are fairly simple mechanically, and work something like the
shock in a Midget; it acts as a damper and it locates part of the front
suspension. They're held in place by bolts top and bottom.

When you say the top part broke loose, did it break the bolts or did
they pull through the sheet metal? Look at the sheet metal around the
top of the strut. If that's bent up, you need to go see a body shop for
a knowledgeable evaluation. If they pulled through the sheet metal, you
need to go to a body shop. If the bolts pulled out of the strut or broke
off, you can replace them.

I would go ahead and replace the strut. It's probably damaged, and cheap
enough to replace.

Be sure to check the tie rod ends on that side. We replaced our bent
strut, but when we took it in for alignment, they discovered the tie rod
ends had been hosed. Those aren't too bad to replace, but check the manual.

After replacing all this hardware, you'll need to get the front end
realigned.

Feel free to ping me if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose