Re: [Spridgets] Need a new TV - No LBC - No Dishwashers

To: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Need a new TV - No LBC - No Dishwashers
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:07:08 -0600
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com> wrote:
>> < No one seems to make a decent small surround speaker...  >>
>>
>> And no one seems to make a decent stereo floor speaker either,
>> derf <F> !!
> Nobody makes decent speakers anymore period. Get something middle of the
> road from the Seventies. It'll probably blow away any modern studio
monitor.

I had some Altec studio monitors from the 70s that sounded great.
They had that little 90 degree folded horn.  I traded them away when I
got my Heresys.  Like a fool I parted with several sets of Klipsch
LaScalas, including some nice woodgrain cabinets that were Birch,
IIRC.  I always liked horn loaded bass bins.

I used to be a big Klipsch fan and later became a Klipsch dealer, of
sorts. At first they were made by a bunch of hippie redneck types in
Arkansas.  Later they sold out like everyone else and are just like
every other speaker maker.  I remember arguing with a Klipsch rep
about the "flatness" of their 4 way theatre speakers.  When I showed
him my real time analyzer display he STILL tried to tell me the
response was flat.  He was trying to sell hype and sparkle.  I told
him not to worry, his products performed just like JBL and EV and the
other big names.

When digital sound started coming out in theatres I had to go around
and upgrade the old Altec speakers to something that could handle more
power.  The company I worked for trashed many nice, old Altecs.
Later, I met a guy who would buy them for $150 and sell them overseas
for a huge profit.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive