Re: [Spridgets] Speakers From the 70's

To: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>, billyzoom@billyzoom.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Speakers From the 70's
From: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:32:27 -0800 (PST)
Kirk,
My amps are not tube, but are old NAD units I have strapped mono (one
amp per
speaker). They're very good, though not up to the likes of old Crown
units and
the like. I sold studio and high-end home audio equipment in the
early 80's and
acquired these pieces - that were already old at the time -
one at a time from
various places around the country. You are absolutely
correct that it's hard to
beat old analog equipment. The best turntable
cartridges were always moving coil
units - for the same reason that a light
wheel makes a car handle better -
lower unsprung weight. All the components
are important to the overall sound,
but I always told my customers the single
most important factor in the final
sound is the speakers. I use a pair of KEF
Pro Series monitors - made in England
around 1980.

Unfortunately, I do not
have my turn table connected to the system in my
apartment. Getting lazy.
Usually just dial up something from my iTunes on the
computer and run it thru
the system. I can dial up the artist or the genre or
anything else I want to
define by and let it play for hours. Beats getting up
and flipping the album
over every 22 minutes or so...

 - David Booker
Long Island