[Spridgets] San Francisco Layover

To: g.h.higgins@gmail.com
Subject: [Spridgets] San Francisco Layover
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:46:49 -0800
Gary,

You should check at the information desk at the airport.  I think you can
catch BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) to the Embarcadero and then the Trolley
will take you to Wharf. There are a lot of attractions at the Wharf. . you
might also walk back up to Pier 39 which is a major attraction, depending on
your time frame.  However,  there are a lot of interesting shops and people
at the Wharf which should be enough to keep you entertained.

If you make it to P 39. .  . at the end of the pier you can see huge seals,
hundreds of them, plus there are all kinds of shops and at times,
entertainers doing various crazy things.  It is also a nice place to kick
back and rest for a bit as you take in the people walking by.  . always
something interesting to see at that level.  Plus there are often various
different street entertainers at the Wharf area too.

The Trolley cars are a lot of fun as they are over 100 years old.  They
climb some very steep streets.  People stand on outside platforms while they
are going.  . or you can sit  inside.  Noisy and loud and a real experience,
no doubt, if this is your first time to ride on one.

If you were driving I would recommend taking a run down the famous Lombard
Street. .  but you would have to grab a taxi for that.  Taxi drivers in San
Francisco are an entertainment factor all by themselves as they scream
through the streets . . some of the hills are so steep that it is hard to
believe that a car would be able to make the grade.

The weather should be to the cold side.  You should check the weather before
you go.

At the Wharf there is a nice restaurant called Allioto's. It has a huge
sign.  . you cannot miss it.  There is also a self guided tour of a WWII
submarine in the area, which is not very expensive plus a few other things
that you will run into.  If you have never been there before, it will
probably come off as a whole other world.

Looks like the date that you will be there will mean that you will miss the
annual Gay Pride Parade. .  . LOL.  But maybe next time?  (Just kidding).

Anyone else have any other ideas?   This is all by memory and it has been a
while since I have taken family there.   I was born there and I know live
about an hour and a half away.

Gerard might be able to correct or add to what I have written as he lives
there.

Kirk

Kirk

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html