[Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 44, Issue 28

Subject: [Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 44, Issue 28
From: rdgard at cox.net (Bob Gardner)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:04:13 -0800
I have been taking my upholstery to Tijuana for about 50 years.  Don't knock
it.  You can get cheep work done in Mexico and in the US and you can get
great work done also.  When I was a kid, we took our hot rods there for the
olde TJ "Tuck & Roll" job.  They were great.  If you were not careful, or
would grind them too much on the price, they might use lower quality vinyl
and thread, but if you wanted quality and only bargined a little bit and
took some beer, you could get a great job for not much.  Still the same
today. My friend bought a Rolls Royce, about 57 vintage.  It needed paint
and wood re done and new leather on front seats.  The work was brokered by a
guy in his garage.  He knew who to take it to for each thing.  The front
leather upolstry matched the rear so close you would never even think one
was old and one was done in Mexico.  The paint was flawless.  He does lots
of classic cars and accidents on Porsches, MBZ etc.  Cost was about 25% of
up here.

About 15 years ago I had a Fiat 124 spyder done there by accident and it is
a great story.  A little long for this post, but maybe some other time.

My point is that there are a lot of craftsmen in Mexico who really know how
to do good work.  It helps to have a person refer you so there is a personal
touch.  On a really big job, you can save enough to take your car there and
have a vacation for a few days.

Just my 2 pesos worth.

Bob in San Diego

Robert D. Gardner