[Spridgets] L(A)JC - Long winded view from the darkside

Subject: [Spridgets] L(A)JC - Long winded view from the darkside
From: kgb at frontiernet.net (kgb at frontiernet.net)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 05:37:30 +0000 (UTC)
One word of caution about the new GMs. We have 14 2009 Chevy Express vans at
work. We always have at least one in the dealership at any given time while
they try to diagnose the latest electrical problem. It takes them an average of
3 weeks per vehicle. I will say that the Stabilitrac is wonderful - when it's
working. Unfortunately, that is one of the features that seems to have chronic
issues. The other is the lighting. We average a headlight a month per van, and
the dome lights have a tendency to burn up also. I'm probably over reacting,
but I tend to get nervous when the cab suddenly fills with smoke at 80 mph.

Kate

We slum the car
dealerships around here, especially in these gray winter months, and the
closest is the GM dealer, and they are great people. They know my sons like
the new Camaro and CTS-V Coupe (552 Hp Cadillac!) and encourage them to see a
new color or special edition when they get one in. We spend a lot of our bad
weather days at the dealership enjoying the new car smells. We bring donuts
like Frank does with his upholstery guy or an equivalent. I drove a new Chevy
Suburban this weekend. 8000+ pounds of glorious towing capacity, it drove like
a car (that's what I want when I have a 400 mile tow), and it gets 20 MPG on
the highway. It beats the crap out of my 2002 F-150 XL in every single way,
and it depreciates to half its value in 2 years so I can almost afford one. I
have it on good authority it will get 16-18 towing my exact enclosed trailer
with a Sprite in it. My F-150 gets 9 - 10, and tops out at 70 mph. The
technology is astounding, and I tip
 my hat. I need it to go to Newfoundland and back later this year, and I lust
for one. If I end up being able to swing it and you see me driving it on a day
when I don't have the trailer attached to it and think there is some ulterior
reason why I have it, bite me. It's my choice, I like choices. Trabants are
cute, but not when they are mandatory. Too much technology in today's cars?
That's what I thought about my 87 MR2, 1990 Miata, 87 BMW...and they seem
quaint now with affordable parts in the aftermarket compared to my
zero-technology Bugeyes.

Rant/ramble off,
Ron
Suggested annual donation  $12.75