[Spridgets] What do YOU think?

Subject: [Spridgets] What do YOU think?
From: kk7ss at frontier.com (Dave KK7SS)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 02:09:05 +0000 (UTC)
I moved to South africa the day after Dr. Verwoerd was assisnated. So that
makes it 1966.
Because of Apartheid the United Nations had long before imposed sanctions
including one against oil imports.

Thje South Africans developed a method for producting gasoline from coal. The
company and the product was called SASOL. The refineries were clean and odor
free (I had to go to then to service the equipment my company had installed!)

It was cheaper to produce than to process imported oil but it dod not give as
many mpg/power as gasoline from oil.

You had to increase the size of the carb jets.

The oil companies refused to have SASOL pumps on their gas stations.

It was after SASOL built their own stations and wre selling SASOL at less than
1/3rd the price of regular gas that the major oil companies agrees to have a
SASOL pump on every one of their stations providing SASOL increased the pruice
of their fuel.

Bottom line -- the technology exists; perhapes its the NIH stndrome??

Dave G  KK7SS
DN06ig

'65 Sprite - in process
'76 Midget - driver