[Spridgets] Fire Extinguishers

Subject: [Spridgets] Fire Extinguishers
From: tequila.brad at gmail.com (Brad Fornal)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:42:20 -0600
I've got an old brass Pyrene "pump" style one, from an old courthouse
storeroom, from the 50's. This was brand new, in the box, and is the one
that contains Carbon Tetrachloride. I have given EXPLICIT instructions that
it is NOT to be used on a fire, as it will, IIRC, create phosgene gas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher                     Photo of
one like mine, is second photo down on the left. Here is why it was put into
storage.
"Carbon-tetrachloride extinguishers were withdrawn in the 1950s because of
the chemical's toxicitybexposure to high concentrations damages the nervous
system and internal organs. Additionally, when used on a fire, the heat can
convert CTC to Phosgene <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosgene> gas
,[7]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_extinguisher#cite_note-6>formerly
used as a chemical weapon."
I don't believe I will take it in to have it serviced, it may come back
empty. This is one of the rare, still full ones.....

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Shop at " Just Brits " <shop at justbrits.com