Re: [Spridgets] My test drive of the Mini Clubman and your opinions.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] My test drive of the Mini Clubman and your opinions.
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:55:03 -0600
My current daily driver didn't come with a spare either.  It comes with
runflats and has a sensor/transmitter in each tire and a readout of each
pressure in the dash.  It frequently cries wolf too, which might be
radio interference in various parts of the city.  Just this morning I
drove about 3 miles with it flashing and telling me one tire was at 21.
Then right before I arrived at work it decided the pressure really was 33.

Anyway after I got the car and read about runflats, I decided I should
buy non-runflats next.  I found a wheel/tire for the car on the internet
and bought it.  The people in my office were real amused when it arrived
and our tiny little Chinese office manager came rolling this brown paper
cylinder down the hall.  I also bought a jack on ebay so I was set.

A few months ago we were headed out of town and the dash display starts
flashing.  I had to go a couple more miles down the freeway before I
could exit and find a place to park.  The thing had cried wolf so many
times I didn't know whether to believe it or not, but sure enough one of
the OEM tires had crapped out.  I put my spare on and we went on with
our trip.  With runflats I would have had to turn around and head back
home.  When we got back from the trip I replaced the OEM fronts with
Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

> Wow Larry I didn't know it doesn't have a spare
>
>> I did have to buy tires at 31,000. One had a nail and could not be repaired
>> and the rest would not make the next inspection, so I went for all 4. Note,
>> there is NO spare for this car. There is a place to put a doughnut, but it
>> is not included. The run-flats are connected to an electronic monitor to
>> warn you if one gets low.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive