Re: [Spridgets] Detroit building question - no BLC content

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Detroit building question - no BLC content
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:09:41 -0600
I have dealt with this type thing before.  This appears to be a building
that was run down inside and someone wanted to tear it down and build a
new building, but the building had some historic significance so there
was resistance.  Sometimes what happens is that they agree to retain the
building's skin and tear down the rest, then build a new building right
behind it and connect the old skin to it.  In the photograph it appears
that there is nothing but air behind the windows, except you can see
some scaffolding on the righthand side and a big steel truss across the
top.  We have done this before for old buildings in my area.

I looked at google street view images of the train station but I
couldn't tell for sure if this is it.  One side of it looks sort of like
this but wikipedia said they were going to just tear the thing down and
not try to retain part of it.

> My mother-in-law who lived in Detroit in the 50's-70's  said "Just a
> guess--could be Michigan Central Train Station"
>
>> What is this building that is shown in the Detroit Comeback commercial on
>> TV? .bill in Corvallis
>>
>> http://www.97330.com/Detroit_mystery_building_front.jpg

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75