[Spridgets] Welder

Subject: [Spridgets] Welder
From: soavero at yahoo.com (Ron Soave)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:53:26 -0800 (PST)
--- On Wed, 2/16/11, Billy Zoom <billyzoom at billyzoom.com> wrote:
> inductors. They
> seem to excel at anything that involves winding coils of
> wire.

That's for real. When I was a idealistic young physicist, I was involved with
the architecture of the Superconducting Super Collider project in lovely
Waxahachie, Texas. The Italians were the ones who were going to make the
magnets. Those were to be the most advanced in the world, and there wasn't
anyone close to their capability.

The SSC didn't make a whole lot of sense at $14B or so, but something like it
with 30,000 - 50,000 direct jobs and 1,000,000 spin off jobs is a lot better
stimulus than unemployment extension.

Ron