[Spridgets] Open Carry - Cat and the 9mm

Subject: [Spridgets] Open Carry - Cat and the 9mm
From: derf247 at gmail.com (derf)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:54:42 -0600
Here in LA we have a local Open Carry (OC) hero.  He has followers and
detractors.
They go to places like Wal*Mart and Bass Pro Shops and stir up
trouble.  Most people ignore them but when a store manager asks them
to leave they make a big deal and try and shove their cause down other
people's throats.  They do more harm than good to gun owners and OC
proponents, IMHO.
One of his followers shot a guy during a drug deal and killed him.
The shooter had posted previously about what might be a "clean kill".
To me, when you post things like that on the internet it is hard to
say you shot someone without malice aforethought.    You can't go
armed to a known drug dealer to buy drugs, get into a fight, kill him
in his own house, and say it was self defense.  But, I'm not a lawyer
or a juror in the case.

I exercise my right to OC sometimes, like after hurricanes Katrina and
Gustav.  For a while after natural disasters things are iffy.  Cops
are busy with problems on duty and with their own personal property
and families.  Criminals know this and are bolder.  This is why
looting is so bad.  If you OC most people think you are a cop.  If you
look shady and OC then they think you are a narc or undercover cop.
Concealed carry (CC) is legal here if you take a course and pay for
the CC license.  The OC can be a deterrent.  Although thugs and
criminals are not afraid of guns, the will most likely choose easier
targets if they are out hunting for someone to mug.

OC is legal in many places.  In Texas you can shoot people stealing
your property.  Here in LA you have to be in fear of life or great
harm to be justified shooting someone.