Re: [Spridgets] 2010 GMC Hassles and Issues

To: Rick Fisk <refisk@chartermi.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net, David
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 2010 GMC Hassles and Issues
From: kgb@frontiernet.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:43:45 +0000 (UTC)
Our fleet of 2009 Chevy vans presently have between 80 - 90,000 miles each.
Since new, each has been a charter member of the headlight of the month club.
One melted the wiring behind the headlights each time the light burned out, and
did the same twice to the interior lights, actually catching the interior on
fire. After it required its fifth set of brakes in 30,000 miles, we convinced
the dealer to take it back or I would write a really juicy column for the local
paper.

All the vans have a chronic problem with the fuel system, causing the fuel hose
to shut of after it has put in about 15 cents of gas. The shop manager insisted
it was the fuel pump when the first one went in, and installed a new fuel pump,
which did nothing to alleviate the problem. Naturally, he wanted to install a
second fuel pump, then a third. Explaining that we had no problem getting fuel
out of the tank, only in to it, did nothing to convince him otherwise until an
appropriate temper tantrum was thrown at the time all his customers were
dropping off their vehicles for the day. This technique was one that I learned
in "Women vs Shop Managers 101".

Fuel gauges in all vans have been replaced at least once. All dash warning
lights on each van are permanently on, pretty much negating their value as
warning lights.

One van required a complete new engine at 25,000 miles because, according to
the shop manager, who still holds his job, it ran through a 3" deep puddle and
splashed water on the engine. Perhaps we inadvertently wound up with the Dubai
model?

In all fairness, the all wheel drive and stabilitrak are wonderful - when they
are working. I have yet to get one stuck, even when driving to sidings that are
miles from the nearest road.

We are now authorized to take them to a real shop for anything other than
electrical problems, which has helped tremendously, but I still would not want
to own one. Perhaps on the newer models the electricals have been corrected,
but I am inclined to doubt it.

Kate