[Spridgets] HIF44 Custom Throttle Cable and SoCal Weather

Subject: [Spridgets] HIF44 Custom Throttle Cable and SoCal Weather
From: rrengineer.mike at att.net (Michael MacLean)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 19:06:26 -0800 (PST)
     For those of you running a single HIF44 carb, APT sells a throttle cable
that has a teflon ferrule that snaps into a slot in the HIF44 carb heat
shield.  This cable is originally for a Mini, so it is just a little short for
the Bugeye and early Spridgets.  The one that is in mine binds once in a while
because it is so short.  I have to tap it with my foot to bring the idle
down.  Not sure if this applies to later cars.  Anyway, David Anton is making
a hybrid throttle cable for me that is 5 inches longer.  It is a combination
of a standard throttle cable and the Mini cable so it works with the standard
HIF44 heat shield.  Should solve the problem.
     Also, I bought a adjustable oil relief valve while I was there.  My car
runs at 90 PSI on the freeway.   David told me that the excess pressure will
activate a bypass valve in the filter, so there would be no filtering.  There
was some question if this device would fit a 1275 Bugeye because it was
designed for a Mini, but there is all kinds of room.  So I will trying that
out soon.
    Anyway, I was out all day with the Bugeye charging around town because I
took the day off for a dentist's visit.  I almost forgot how much fun this car
can be.  It sits in the garage most of the time because I work so much.  Lucky
if it gets 500 miles a year these days.  It was a beautiful day today n
Southern California.  Had to be in the high 70s, low 80s!  I had a choice of
using my Harley or the Bugeye.  Luckily the Bugeye won out.   What a hoot at
almost 38 miles to the gallon!
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2