[Spridgets] Transmission Fluid

Subject: [Spridgets] Transmission Fluid
From: dlh2001 at comcast.net (Dean Hedin)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:46:05 -0400
You're not in any immediate trouble.

Because (viscosity wise) 50wt SAE engine oil rating is equivalent
to 90wt SAE Gear oil. (and 30wt engine equivalent to about 85wt gear)

If you search the web you can find a chart that shows how the viscosities
compare.

What is different is the additives in the oil. Engine oil can have
additives that are not the best for your synchos.

On the flip side, most modern GL-5 Hypoid gear oil is also not ideal.

For this reason many of the lube manufacturers now offer a manual
transmission specific gear oil.

Examples are RedLine's MTL and MT-90.  Royal Purple's MaxGear etc..

I had a crunchy second gear synchro on my datsun 5 speed.
I tried a lot of different weight transmission oils and I finally
put RedLine MT-90 in and the issue went away.  It was expensive
but worth it.

Read this from ReadLine and it will explain better than I can...
http://tinyurl.com/3rybgwx