Re: [Spridgets] The Conservative Mind, No LBC

To: "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] The Conservative Mind, No LBC
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:47:46 -0500
I had an off-list conversation about the cost effectiveness of today's
technology with a lister who no longer posts to the list.

This is what I said to him regarding the efficiency of today's equipment:

"The way I see it is we need to start walking before we can run.
Nothing ever designed was perfect from the get-go, but we have to start
somewhere.  Cars today make cars 100 years ago look ridiculously inefficient
and crude, yet we wouldn't have these cars today if we didn't start out with
those cars 100 years ago.  Same thing here.  We need to start this ball
rolling even if today's product isn't as good as we hope tomorrow's product
will be."

So, if we don't start working on the technology until it is perfect, we
never will start.  When we are out of oil is a hell of a time to start
developing an alternative.  Think far enough ahead to not be out of options.

I agree.  I think there should be money invested in some technologies
that are considered by some to be "green".  I, too, do not like the
"green at any cost" approach.
Wind power has been used for a long time.  If we can make electricity
from wind power then we should do it.  But, it needs to produce enough
power to pay for itself.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive