[Spridgets] Ethanol Test

Subject: [Spridgets] Ethanol Test
From: bertshirey at zoominternet.net (Bert Shirey)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 19:27:44 -0400
Tim,

    I got an ethanol  test kit from Fuel Testers at www.fueltestkit.com  last
year or so, about $35 with shipping. Just a plastic test tube with
calibrations, instructions, and a squeeze bottle for the fuel. Uses a gas and
water mix that separates according to the eth content.
    I use Shell here in northern Maryland for all the vehicles and lawn
equipment. The MG and Bug like the premium. The sedan requires it, so they say
who also recommend Shell and have arrainged things so I can`t service it
myself.  The truck, Escort 16 year old Craftsman tractor,  mower, and
weedwacker run fine on reg.
     The Premium  fuel from the two Shell stations I use  has tested
consistently at 5%. over the last 18 months. Never tested the reg.
      My buddy was getting no-eth gas for his A from a station in nearby
Quarryville, Pa. It tested zero alcohol, but regular was selling for above
premium prices. That place recently stopped selling the traditional fuel.   I
dope the gas for the LBCs with stabilizer and pull the plug and drain the
tanks once yearly. Run the lawn machines dry over the winter. No problems so
far except that the MG and Bug take forever to warm up and get off choke in
cold weather and everything is getting worse mileage.

Bert Shirey
Midget MK II 1098
60 Bugeye