[Spridgets] engine shipping

Subject: [Spridgets] engine shipping
From: cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com (CosmicMag1380)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 21:30:15 -0400
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Mike Rambour <lists at dinospider.com> wrote:
I need to figure out how to ship a motor and tranny from Stroud,
Gloucestershire to S. Calif.  Its a 4cyl.  972cc motor with all its
ancillaries attached and one gearbox, no guess on the actual weight,

Mike,

I shipped a 1275 to Andy Webster (lister) down under a few years ago.
He did the leg work and told me where to get it to in NJ. He found a
transporter who charged by the cubic meter for container space. I
strapped it to a wooden pallet. A Rivergate 5 speed kit was also
strapped to the pallet. Both were covered with a cardboard box that
was stapled to the pallet. There was plenty of room for a tranny
without the 5 speed kit. I tried to find a plastic or metal pallet so
it would not have to be quarantined but couldn't come up with one. If
the motor is complete, it must be drained of oil and anti-freeze.
Hazmat crap rules... After a long boat ride and some time in solitary,
Andy picked it up and AFAIK is still running it in his car. Maybe
he'll see this and send some pointers on the shipping.

I think it was about $300 to get it to NJ from Cincinnati and $400-500
for the boat ride. Not sure so don't hold it against me when yours is
more!
--
Kent
1960 Bugeye