[Spridgets] ZDDP

Subject: [Spridgets] ZDDP
From: John.Deikis at va.gov (Deikis, John G)
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:39:35 -0400
My understanding (quite limited) is that ZDDP breaks down into
phosphorus and sulfur that provides the extreme pressure protection by
adhering to the sliding metal surfaces of the cam-tappet interface. Too
much phos and sulfur actually attack the metal and cause eventual
degradation.

FWIW: the best recent article I've come across that summarizes the
issues is on a Corvette site and worth reading. The author avoids a lot
of the earlier hysteria and panic that characterized coverage of the
topic in the popular press.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/oil/index.html

Cheers!

JohnD