Re: [Spridgets] Likely Pilot Bushing problem + cam question

To: Steven Guterman <an5.sprite@gmail.com>, Paul Van Wig
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Likely Pilot Bushing problem + cam question
From: Bob Van Kirk <racerbob70@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:51:10 -0700 (PDT)
    You do not have to remove the head or the oil pan to remove/replace the
cam.  Back off all the adjustment screws then place a large screw driver under
the rocker arm shaft and on top of the valve spring, gentle apply pressure to
the valve spring until the adjustment screw clears the push rod and the rod is
ready to be removed.  The 2 end rocker arms will have to be removed to get nbr
1 and 8 push rod out.  You can do this by removing the cotter pin and using
the same method as discribed remove the arm and the push rod.  As they say
replacement is just the opposite.  After turning the engine over and removing
the front cover and the gears for the cam and crank shaft you can now remove
the camshaft but be careful to not lose the star drive at the end of the cam,
you might not have one of these but rather the slotted type of drive, or you
will then have to remove the pan.  I've done this at the race track in about 4
hours, engine out and back
 in and running.
   Almost forgot, of course all the oil is drained from the pan first but when
you turn the engine over, upside down, you will still get some oil from the
lifters and what is left in the pan so be prepared for this.  Also to prevent
loosing the star drive I'd have the rear of the engine a little lower then the
front. One more thing, you will need to check the end float of the cam which
needs to be .003 to .007 clearance checked at the front of the cam after you
have installed the cam locating plate.     Hope this helps and any questions,
ask away.
Bob