Re: [Spridgets] Spring washers don't work !

To: "spridgets_autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Spring washers don't work !
From: Dave KK7SS <kk7ss@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:42:22 +0000 (UTC)
Bob,

I was thinking specifically of propulsion systems, flight surfaces, things that
are attatched to other things, etc but excluding  payloads.
One interesting instance of an antenna failing to deploy on orbit was traced to
a well-meaning (but mistaken) assembly tech who thought that lubricating the
antenna (built something like a tubular slinky) would facilitate it's extending.
He forgot that all lubricants become near-solids at the temps encountered in
space.

--
Dave G  KK7SS
 Richland, WA

'59 Morris Minor 1000 - working on it..
'65 Sprite - in process :(
'76 Midget - co-owned with #4 Son :)
'06 Honda Civic Hybrid

----- "Kitterer Bob" <bkitterer@me.com> wrote:

> NASA - i.e. space assets do not use "fluid" lubricants, as far as I
> know they do not use any lubricants but for a very different reason.
> When the assets go into space (vacuum) lubricants will out gas, these
> vapors will re-condense on the optics.  This deteriorates / makes
> optical systems non-useable.  There are almost no assets that do not
> have some type of optical system.  So lubricants are a major no-no.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums