[Spridgets] Double wall bulk head in Sprite.

Subject: [Spridgets] Double wall bulk head in Sprite.
From: mgmaven at bellsouth.net (Bob Spruck)
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 21:01:25 -0400
Lin:

That bulkhead has a vertical panel on the outside (in front of the
diff) and an angled panel on the inside. Look at your Victoria
British or Moss diagrams. It is there to provide two cross-chassis
surfaces to anchor the rear of the floors to the unibody - adds much
strength that way. So there is a wedge shaped cavity between them. If
you do use Billy's suggestion of riv-nuts, don't drill through both
panels (unless it is too late).

I would suggest mounting the fuel pump on the curved part of the
trunk floor behind the diff, off to the passenger side. There is only
one thickness of sheet metal there. I have had a Facet on my '67
vintage racer mounted there since 1995 on the inside of the boot next
to the fuel cell, but on my '72 street car I mounted one in the same
place but on the outside, mostly to accommodate the external fuel
lines from the external fuel tank on the street car and the internal
fuel lines from the fuel cell in the boot on the race car. I would
recommend using rubber spacers to minimize the vibration and noise
and a separate little ground wire.

Regarding your question about a fuel cell - they are expensive, and
you lose all storage space in the boot, including that for the spare
tire. You don't want to mount it on the underside of the boot floor
like the stock arrangement since they are generally thicker than the
tank and have a top filler. Don't cut a hole in the boot floor to
mount it half in and half out - the sheetmetal tends to crack with
the weight and vibration. Plus you would have to get the output fuel
line from inside the boot to outside the boot so it goes under the
car to the front. On my racer, I have braided SS line that runs
through the steel bulkhead and along the passenger side of the
transmission tunnel through the right hand steering shaft hole in the
foot box and across the steering rack to the fuel block and pressure
regulator on the driver side inner fender.

Also , if you are going hill climbing or racing, check with the group
you intend to race with to see if they require a fuel cell. All
vintage race groups I have raced with for the past 20 years do, but
if you go with NASA, EMRA, Hooked-On-Driving, etc. you may not. Are
you going to really race or just tour around the track, do track
days, or light schools?

Enough for now. I think that covers it.

Bob

BZ said:
Look for Pop Rivet Nuts. The 1/4 inch size is plenty strong
But use steel Riv-Nuts rather than aluminum, and use a good installation
tool...at least the ratcheting one. I don't care for the regular HF types
that look like pop riveters. They don't squeeze the steel Riv-Nuts enough to
keep them tight.
BZ