[Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 49, Issue 31

Subject: [Spridgets] Spridgets Digest, Vol 49, Issue 31
From: lee.fox at sbcglobal.net (Lee Fox)
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:42:58 -0500
Rick,

These are not hard to de-smog. Just removing the belt from the air pump
will work if you live someplace that requires all the pollution controls
to be in place.

I also have a '79 that I will be driving to Midget 50. I long ago
removed the pump, EGR, piping, etc. and hollowed out the cat. Cleans up
the engine bay nicely. The vacuum hose routing is for retard at idle
only and can be safely discarded. Set timing at 10-12 BTDC instead of
the marked 4 ATDC.

This engine gets a bad rep because it can drop thrust washers into the
pan and ruin the crank if not caught right away. Easy to check and fix
with engine in car. Unlike the A-series, this engine has a long stroke
and does not rev high, but has tons of torque, which makes it a great
driver.

Lee