[Spridgets] MC Push Rods

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] MC Push Rods
From: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:05:01 -0500
Guys and Gals,

    The Master cylinder push rod mix-up business caused my buddy and me a lot
of grief when doing his MGA a while ago.

      The 3/4" and 7/8" MCs do not use the same length rods. Rods for the 3/4"
is shorter than the 7/8" and they are not interchangeable And because the MCs
outwardly look the same, it`s easy to mix-up the rods. Also, since the 7/8" MC
used on the drum brake systems is still available new and will work on the
disc brake cars, supposedly correct replacement rods you order for the 3/4"
may be incorrect.

       You can adjust the effective length of the rod but not enough.

       Too long rods will overthrow the bores and at least make a mess while
preventing bleeding. More likely they will wreck the rebuild. Too short, and
the pistons will not travel enough to bleed.

      In the case of the A, we sent the original 7/8" MC off for a rebuild. We
were unaware that a 3/4" was returned in error. The longer rods ruined our day
right up to the start of Happy Hour, when the whole screw up didn`t seem so
bad after all.

Bert Shirey
66 Midget 1098/60 Bugeye

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html