[Spridgets] Gas Tank- UPDATE

To: Rick Bastedo <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Subject: [Spridgets] Gas Tank- UPDATE
From: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:10:22 -0700
Hello Rick,

     My in place gas tank repairs worked perfectly. I refilled the
     tank yesterday without ever having to remove it. Permatex makes
     some stuff that will stick right to gasoline wetted surfaces, but
     I couldn't find any locally, (12020) but I did get their Radiator
     and Gas tank repair kit. I drained the tank, let it dry well,
     cleaned the area around the HOLE with BRAKE-CLEAN, sanded down to
     bare metal with Emery Cloth, cleaned the brake-clean again then
     wiped it all dry. Next I waited to be sure it was dry and clean,
     then broke a chunk of the stick off. It's a two part epoxy stick
     that you knead until uniform in color and texture. Formed it into
     the recommended conical shape and shoved it into the hole and
     smoothed it out around it to make about a 1" diameter patch.
     It says it cures in two hours so i waited overnight, then added
     1/2 gallon of gas back into the tank. That hole was fixed, but
     there was another teeny tiny hole nearby! So small it would
     probably take a month to leak a pint, but still obviously not
     DRY, so I mixed some more compound and spread it around that leak
     too. .. I waited another 4 or 5 hours, checking for dryness, then
     painted the patched areas with black rustoleum. after that dried,
     i poured another 5 gallons of gas in the tank and have seen no
     indications of anything moist at the patched points....

     VICTORY... ..

     Total cost,

     Permatex         <  $6
     Brake Clean      ~  $5
     5 gallon gas can ~ $16

--                    < $30 including tax.

      and i still have the gas can, most of the brake clean, and most
      the patch stuff. ..

      way less than the cost a new tank, even it would have come from
      CANADA. ..

      by the way, do those new tanks come with a drain plug?

Best regards,
 Bill L.                            mailto:pythias@pacifier.com

 Mount St. Helens should have used earth control.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums