Re: [Spridgets] Off topic Jeep question

To: "'Peter Caldwell'" <peter@nosimport.com>, "'Gregory Groiss'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Off topic Jeep question
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:18:41 -0400
Peter,
I thought the bad coil problem started with the series 4 models, in the '99
model year?   I bought a brand new '98 Golf and find that the coils (just
one coil for the 2.0 4 cyl, vs. 4 coils for the same engine in later models)
hold up reasonably well.  I'm on the second replacement coil, at 322,000
miles.  When these coils go bad, they seem to last long enough to get you
home.  At least the two that I've had to replace didn't fail completely,
until I got home.
Of course, these days, Bosch electrics are every bit as bad as Lucas was
wrongfully accused of being.............
At any rate, I'll take my Spridget, any day, over ANYTHING modern, for
reliability.  And, yes, I used to use my '72 Midget as my daily driver, with
total reliability.
Bud Osbourne