[Spridgets] Long drives - was: Thinking about buying another car

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Long drives - was: Thinking about buying another car
From: Rick Bastedo <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:00:55 -0700
When driving that particular road (ALCAN), 25+ years ago, you knew some
things for sure.
1. There's a very long way to go
2. Civilization was sparse
3. You could drive a long way without seeing another driver

At least for me I tended to drive faster than I would normally, even though
it was gravel road.
I think it was partly due to the sense of being alone and partly due to the
knowledge of the road ahead - how far I had to go before the next gas
station and that I'd have to get there before they closed for the night if I
didn't want to sleep in the car.
Also I was a lot younger.
That and the fact that there was nothing to stop you but common sense and
that can get distorted after driving a long time over deserted roads out in
the wilderness.
And I was a lot younger.

Reading this
 http://wikitravel.org/en/Alaska_Highway
reminded me of one wake up call I had on my last trip down the ALCAN.

Driving my MGC fast on one of the few paved parts of the road, my friend
Pete was dozing in the passenger seat.
Suddenly all the road noise stopped which instantly woke Pete up.
Me too.
The car had passed over a fissure in the road and the other side was lower.
For a brief moment the car was airborne.
It came down nice and square and I instinctively must have reacted right. We
also had very good tires.

We slowed down quite a bit after that.

Rick (drives slower now) Bastedo

______________________________________
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Thinking about buying another car.

> Ever go 80mph all day in deep gravel and snow and rain on a
> motorcycle...?    ;-)

 No.  Why in the hell would I do that?

Death wish.

Michael Rowe