Re: [Spridgets] Line diodes

To: "'Gerard'" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Line diodes
From: "Richard Ball" <rich_ball@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:58:52 -0800
The '76 Midget had two, possibly three diodes depending on if it is a
California or a federal spec car.  All had a diode for the EGR service
interval counter and the Brake warning light.  California cars also had one
for the Catalytic converter service interval counter.  The diodes energize
the warning lights by receiving power from the white wired ignition circuit
when you turn on the key to indicate that they are working.  If a diode or
diodes goes bad you end up passing power through the diode from the green
(power-key on) circuit to the white (power on ignition) circuit.  This
routing of power through the diode in the wrong direction keeps the starter
energized when you turn the key to the on position.  If the starter did not
turn off when you turned the key to the off position it sounds like you may
have the wires routed wrong through the ignition switch.

I highly recommend that you buy a copy of the MG workshop manual for the
1975-1979 cars and a test light.  You will not regret having them when you
are working on these systems.  I had a diode go bad on my '76 and on Ed's
(lbcnewby) '78.  We would have never figured it out by trial and error.

Wire colors for reference:
Black  Ground, unfused
Brown  Always hot, unfused
White  Hot with ignition on, unfused
Purple  Always hot, fused
Green Hot with ignition on, fused
Red  Parking lights, fused or unfused
Blue  Headlights, unfused
Light Green  Various applications
Slate  Hot with ignition off, fused and unfused
Yellow  Hot in 3rd/4th, ignition on Fused

Good Luck

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA