[Spridgets] Rebuilding master cylinder

Subject: [Spridgets] Rebuilding master cylinder
From: pixelsmith at gerardsgarage.com (Gerard)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:50:34 -0800
I've yet to see a repro that holds up more than 6 months.

I have both two original Lockheed dual circuit brake MC's  I won't be
using if anyone is interested.. One is brass sleeved by Sierra and
another new condition original, both with new, and as yet uninstalled
seal kits. The cylinders have been stored disassembled. I also have a
brass sleeved and new cad plated original lockheed clutch master.

The reason these MC's typically leak has nothing to do with internal
piston seals. The is a seal at the front of the bore to capture bypass
fluid (this is a design feature). The surface of the external piston
must be clean and polished where it passes from the internal fluid
area to the external. Any scores, pits, blemishes, etc, will cause the
MC to leak. Due to the difficulty of disassembling, most people damage
this surface when attempting a rebuild. They will leak even with new
seals if the piston is damaged.

If anyone is interested in either of the two I have, let me know off
list.

Gerard