[Spridgets] No LBC - Peters Robotics team

Subject: [Spridgets] No LBC - Peters Robotics team
From: bjshov8 at tx.rr.com (BJNoSHOV8)
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:12:35 -0600
About 5 years ago I got drafted into working with a team for BEST
robotics.  I didn't know about FIRST robotics at the time but it seems
that BEST and FIRST are somewhat similar.  I've since also learned about
competitions using VEX robotics.

I've worked with 2 different teams on BEST, this past year I volunteered
to help as a referee, and I've also written a small PDF book about
building robots.

Here are some photos from BEST robotics in the fall of 2010:

This is a view of the game field set up in a local mall for
demonstration day:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4197b.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of our robot:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4200b.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4201b.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4203b.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4221b.jpg

Our robot in practice:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4271b.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4343b.jpg

Some photos from our state competition:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4627b.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4630b.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/bjd70/Robotics%202010/DSC_4650b.jpg

The basics of BEST are probably similar to the others.  The goal is to
get middle school and high school students interested in math, science
or engineering careers.  BEST provides a kit to each team, including a
big selection of wood, plastic and metal raw materials and hardware, and
a kit of parts that they have to return including 4 motors, 4 servos, a
small computer controller and a radio control with joysticks.  The game
field and the object of the game both change every year.  The teams
normally will program the computer controller (C language) to drive the
motors and servos as needed by their robot design and game strategy.
The coaches and mentors can provide guidance to the teams but the
students are to design and build the robot.  The games run for 3 minutes
each, with one team member as driver and another team member as spotter.