Re: [Spridgets] Patina - Really???

To: HealeyRick <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Patina - Really???
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 08:08:07 -0800
Rick,

This is interesting, this trend of owning a car that looks like this.

Several years ago, the story goes, that Keith Richards of the Rolling
Stones told Fender, "people do not want your new guitars, they want your
old guitars."

Fender began building custom guitars in their Custom Shop to look like aged
relics from the past.  The finishes are worn off in selected places. .  the
hardware is rusted and the fret boards are made to look as though they have
had years of playing on them.

The result (one can check the Fender web site) is that these days, some of
the most expensive Fender guitars might remind us of the look of this
Porsche. .. . . given that you opt for a guitar from Fender's "heavy relic"
series which seem to be some of the most popular Fender Strats, basses, and
Telecasters on the market today.  Selling for over $3,500. .. if you pay
retail.

One guitar I wish I had never sold was a 1960 Fender Strat Custom Shop
light relic. I bought it "used" for 2k from a Guitar Center (who would ever
know that it was used)?

Kirk