[Spridgets] Alloy Cylinder Head Questions (lotuspilot@frontier.com)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Alloy Cylinder Head Questions (lotuspilot@frontier.com)
From: "John Fisher" <jfisher3@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:58:06 -0500
Mike,

I purchased an aluminum head from Rivergate and while I have not completed
the build, I am very impressed.  A few observations.

I have a 1330 (.060) short block with 6 cc pistons.

1. The ports are huge

2. Compression ratio calculated with a felpro head gasket and slight block
cut is 11:1+.  Be careful here, small combustion chamber.

3. The intake stud holes are coarse thread, so my ARP studs are not useable.

4. Spark plug recommendations: 12 mm Champion motorcycle plug.

5. The rocker arms seem to need trimming or spacers for fitting to the
rocker shaft.  The pad does not contact the valve stem at a consistent
position valve to valve, there is significant deviation.

6. The valve springs fitted bound with the Elgin cam I used. I don't
remember the specs but it was a hot street grind. I switched to Crane
springs.

7. The head is drilled for two extra studs.  You might as well drill the
block and use them.

As with any engine modifications, one change will get you two more.

As I said, I am impressed with the head.  I am much less impressed with the
Pierce DCOE manifold I bought to bolt onto it. Poor linkage arrangements,
and mounting integrity specifically.  The DCOE, however is a work of arts.

I would like to hear about others impressions as well with both the head and
the manifold.

John

Message: 3