[Spridgets] Special works Sprite

Subject: [Spridgets] Special works Sprite
From: neilandcustom at gmail.com (Neil Anderson)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:39:37 -0500
For those of you who are members of the AHCA, and even if you are not, there
is a very interesting and well researched article that has been published in
the April issue of "Healey Marque" magazine.

I just received my copy today, so I can now let you know about this
fascinating story.  Healey Club members can look at the link that previews
the article or not spoil the surprise and wait for your own magazine to
arrive.

The article documents the mystery surrounding a red works Austin-Healey
Sprite prototype that raced at Sebring in 1964 and has spent all of its post
Sebring existence here in the States.  This detailed article, written by
Baird Foster, unravels the forgotten history of this special Healey race
car.

http://www.sebringsprite.com/pdf%20files/TheHunt4HealeyHistory.pdf

In his book "More Healeys", Geoff Healey only provides one brief paragraph
about the '64 Sebring race and no photographs of the two prototype Sprites
that ran in different classes and the Healey 3000, 56 FAC, that all raced
factory supported that year.  Maybe because of DNFs of two of the cars,
Geoff felt the history of the cars and race needed no further documentation.

I find it fascinating that after almost 50 years, the "lost" history of one
of the works Healeys can be filled in and accurately told.  All of the
pieces of the puzzle were there.  It just took a tenacious researcher to
bring all the parts together into a complete picture.  We all benefit from
this dedication to Healey history.  Thank you Baird and "Healey Marque" for
bringing this interesting account to us.

Neil Anderson

Midwest Region, AHCA

'60 BT7 and ongoing Sprite project