[Spridgets] Slave Cyl Question - I Need Advice

Subject: [Spridgets] Slave Cyl Question - I Need Advice
From: khargreaves2 at gmail.com (Kirk Hargreaves)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:12:00 -0700
Dear List,

For the last several years I have run my slave cyl with a spring to keep
the throwout bearing off the clutch splines when not in use.   This last
time around . . when I had to pull the lump to see why I lost my clutch
there was no wear noted on the throwout bearing.

However . . this time I would like to skip the spring.  I have been told
many times that the use of a spring is not necessary.

Here is my question.  When I look through the inspection hole on the top of
the bell housing I note that the throwout bearing seems to naturally rest
very lightly against the clutch splines.

I have the rod coming out of the slave cyl at the correct length.  Should I
assemble it all back together with the throwout bearing slightly touching
the clutch splines like it is?  Will this cause pre-mature wear if I leave
it this way?  Or should the throwout bearing be backed off the clutch
splines just by a very small amount so that they do not touch at all when
not in use?

Thanks so much for all of the help through the years!

Kirk
59 1275