Re: [Spridgets] LBCs and Beatles

To: <WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com>, <khargreaves2@gmail.com>, <healeyrick@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] LBCs and Beatles
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 16:20:31 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
The Jag engine was NEVER proven to be a better engine than the Aston
unit...just had significantly more displacement.  Remember, when BMC went
from five to seven main bearings, on their C series engine, the end result
was a more sluggish unit.  Looking back on the Aston Martin engine's racing
history, the engine was NEVER a weak part of their car.  About the only
circuit where the D-Type Jag had a clear advantage over the Aston Martin
DB3S, or the LeMans-winning DBR1 was at LeMans.  The Astons routinely and
soundly beat the C-Type and D-Type jags at most other racing venues.

For Christmas, about 20 years ago, I was given a two volume history of the
post-war Aston Martins called "Racing With the David Brown Aston Martins".
It is a fascinating read and details the development of the DB six cylinder
engine and the cars that it powered.  Included is plenty of racing history,
including the personal side of racing, with interviews with John Wyer,
Sterling Moss, Carroll Shelby and many others.  Great photos, too!  Lots of
"insider" information about Peter Collins, Shelby, Moss and other who drove
for the Aston Martin works team.

I'm guessing that Amazon.com would probably be able to provide you with a
copy of both volumes for a lot less than what it cost 20 years ago.......

Bud Osbourne