Re: [Spridgets] Hydraulic fluid and asphalt - no LBC

To: "Bob Kitterer" <bkitterer@me.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Hydraulic fluid and asphalt - no LBC
From: "GUY DAY" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:20:27 -0000
I understand the type of hydraulic fluid and asphalt can make a difference
but generally it will dissolve the 'binder' or compound used to hold the
stone chips in the road.  There are many types and grades of asphalt and
some are more resistant than others.
Just like brake fluid on paintwork IMHO the only way to get rid of the
problem is remove the paint (asphalt) and start from fresh.  If this is not
done I believe you will have problems year after year after year.  It will
always degrade and cause problems.
Cure?  Dig out the affected area plus around 1 ft on the non drainage sides
and 3 feet on the drainage side and when I say 'dig out' this includes the
base layers and then you can re-lay.
Look up asphalt MANUFACTURERs, not the guys who lay it, and refer to them.
See if they have a guy who can come out and check on the grade of asphalt on
your road and seek his advice.  Try to get some of the fluid which spilt and
mix a chunk of your road into it and see if it does dissolve.  It could be a
type that doesn't and I could have worried you without reason!
Around 20 years ago over here in the UK I reported on an incident where this
same thing happened and a car slid into a child on the surface of the
asphalt - which had turned to gravel around 12 months later.  They sued the
local authority (responsible for road maintenance) who in turn sued the
haulage company whose vehicle it was that caused the problem.  Their agreed
solution was to dig out the asphalt over an area around 75 sq yd and
concrete it.  A rather expensive leak of hydraulic fluid.
Last year I had builders in and the JCB they used leaked hydraulic fluid
onto the asphalt drive at the side of my house, now the snows have gone I
have seen that is corroding away.  The leak was just a 'couple' of drips
after they used it and they placed a sheet of plywood down overnight to
absorb them but....   It will be fun later this year when I speak with them
about it.  They already know I'm not best pleased as the area is stained and
the gravel is becoming loose.
I would NOT trust the clean-up squad or trash truck people to provide honest
answers, it is in their interest to provide placebo answers and hope that 5
years on your will have forgotten what the problem was or it will be too
late to sue.

Guy R Day