Re: [Spridgets] Broken axle

To: Brad Fornal <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Broken axle
From: HealeyRick <healeyrik@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:55:41 -0400
Cc: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Yahoo Spridget list <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Screwing around with rods taped to broom handles IMHO come under the "Do
you feel lucky, punk?" category.  Those stubs can get wedged in there
pretty tight and I'd just bite the bullet, remove both axles, driveshaft
and pull the pumpkin.  You may find some ground up metal in the diff case
anyway that you'll want to clean out and you will probably need to get a
thin steel rod and a heavy hammer to knock the stub out.  Try to find a
replacement from a later Spridget as they are hardened.  The right one is
the one that usually breaks.  In an ideal world you want to replace one
from the same side of the car as the splines take a set with use, but you
might not be able to get that picky.  Don't forget ti get a new gasket for
the pumpkin and have a couple of shooters when it's all done.  Not to
difficult a job and pretty satisfying.

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive