[Spridgets] Raydyot Mirrors on a Bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Raydyot Mirrors on a Bugeye
From: Bob Spruck via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 09:40:02 -0400
--===============3588996904298602767==
 boundary="------------090804020500090209020905"

--------------090804020500090209020905

I have found that the TINY stock rear view mirror mounted on the scuttle
is entirely inadequate for seeing anything approaching from the rear.
With such a relatively tiny, slow, and valuable car and with all the
crazies out there, I get paranoid about getting hit. Also, my new GMC
Canyon pickup was rear ended last month by an inattentive young girl on
her phone. Five weeks and $4000 later, I hope it is as good as new and
now realize that it can happen to anybody at anytime, regardless of how
good a driver he might be. Scarey!!

Anyway, Moss has a sale on Raydyot replica mirrors. They sure look nice
and would lend a period look to my Speedwell blue/white Healey hardtop
Sebring replica Bugeye. If anyone has any experience with them, I'd be
interested in any comments about quality, mounting, visibility to the
rear, etc.  They are 3 3/4 " in diameter and seem to have flat glass. I
could always add a convex stick-on as I did on my vintage racer. Also
BuyeyeGuy,com on his website says mirrors should be mounted 22 1/2 "
forward of the rear of the bonnet for optimal visibility. Any comments?

I am also contemplating converting the bonnet to a front hinged
configuration, using later stock bumper mount brackets modified to fit.
Regardless of how good the available kits are, they don't seem to be
worth the $200 or so they are asking if I can engineer and fabricate
something myself. Any comments or experiences would be very appreciated.

That's all for now.

Bob Spruck
'67 Midget vintage racer
'72 Midget on its second restoration
'59? Bugeye new kid on the block
6 parts cars in the MG hospice

--------------090804020500090209020905

  <head>

  </head>
        entirely inadequate for seeing anything approaching from the
        rear. With such a relatively tiny, slow, and valuable car and
        with all the crazies out there, I get paranoid about getting
        hit. Also, my new GMC Canyon pickup was rear ended last month by
        an inattentive young girl on her phone. Five weeks and $4000
        later, I hope it is as good as new and now realize that it can
        happen to anybody at anytime, regardless of how good a driver he
        might be. Scarey!!<br>
        Anyway, Moss has a sale on Raydyot replica mirrors. They sure
        look nice and would lend a period look to my Speedwell
        blue/white Healey hardtop Sebring replica Bugeye. I</font></font><font
            anyone has any experience with them, </font></font>I'd be
        interested in any comments about quality, mounting, visibility
        to the rear, etc.  They are 3 3/4 " in diameter and seem to have
        flat glass. I could always add a convex stick-on as I did on my
        vintage racer. Also BuyeyeGuy,com on his website says mirrors
        should be mounted 22 1/2 " forward of the rear of the bonnet for
        optimal visibility. Any comments?<br>
        I am also contemplating converting the bonnet to a front hinged
        configuration, using later stock bumper mount brackets modified
        to fit. Regardless of how good the available kits are, they
        don't seem to be worth the $200 or so they are asking if I can
        engineer and fabricate something myself. Any comments or
        experiences would be very appreciated.<br>
        That's all for now.<br>
        Bob Spruck<br>
        '67 Midget vintage racer<br>
        '72 Midget on its second restoration<br>
        '59? Bugeye new kid on the block<br>
        6 parts cars in the MG hospice<br>

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive