Re: [Spridgets] Brand new Facet fuel pump problem, no power.

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Brand new Facet fuel pump problem, no power.
From: Kevin Valentine via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:26:44 -0400

--001a11c23452125dc5051b9fcb20

Yes, it should get 12 volts with the key on.

If you don't get a reading using the power wire and the ground wire, try
connecting the leads to the power wire and ground the other to the body of
the car.  If you get a reading using the body as a ground then you have a
bad ground at the tank.

Also, if the car was wired for an electric fuel pump at the factory, it
should have a white wire (on when the ignition is on) for the power supply
to the pump.  Of course the wire you have could have been added or changed
before you got the car.

Kevin V.
Tuscarora, Pa

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> is bad at the pump or the pump is bad.
>>
>> Kevin V.
>> Tuscarora, Pa
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Linda Grunthaner via Spridgets <
>> spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>> This afternoon I ran my Sprite's fuel tank dry after driving her without
>>> a problem over the weekend a short distance. It was my fault as I swapped
>>> to my old loose gas cap during the day because it was "pretty" (for me
>>> pretty stupid) and that allowed the fuel tank with little gas to dry out.
>>> My Sprite ran fine until there was no fuel while sitting in the driveway
>>> today. I know my old 2 yr old Facet pump is dead because it no longer makes
>>> any noise  which it always does when I turn the key prior to starting.
>>>
>>> I quickly went to the NAPA store and purchased another near exact Facet
>>> pump "Posi-Flow" and installed it to the exact location as the broken one.
>>> I connected everything exactly as the previous pump and put 2 gallons of
>>> gas in the tank, l reinstalled the rear wheel lowered the jack and
>>> reconnected the battery terminal. I turned the key and I get nothing, no
>>> sound what-so-ever. I have headlights the starter works and the blinkers
>>> too but I hear nothing out of the pump which is usually loud from inside
>>> the car.
>>>
>>> I then thought maybe there was nothing wrong with the old one but I put
>>> 12 volts on it with another battery and nothing, so it was clearly burned
>>> out.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow I'm going to run another ground wire from the black ground on
>>> the pump directly to the negative terminal of the battery to be sure I have
>>> contact for ground as it is only connected to the bolt as the prior pump
>>> was and I will also run another wire to the red power on the pump directly
>>> to the positive terminal of the battery. Other than that I'm stumped. I'll
>>> also call Facet for suggestions.
>>>
>>> Am I missing anything? Could the pump be bad? I'm guessing yes but a
>>> long shot.
>>>
>>> How can I test the new pump other than running the connections directly
>>> to the battery?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Lin
>>>
>>> 62 Sprite 1275 engine, negative ground
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Pay if forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut
>>>
>>> ------------------------
>>>
>>> spridgets@autox.team.net
>>>
>>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>>> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>>>
>>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/kevinv1275@gmail.com
>>>

> --
> "Pay if forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut

--001a11c23452125dc5051b9fcb20

he ground wire, try connecting the leads to the power wire and ground the o=
ther to the body of the car.=C2=A0 If you get a reading using the body as a=
 the car was wired for an electric fuel pump at the factory, it should have=
 a white wire (on when the ignition is on) for the power supply to the pump=
.=C2=A0 Of course the wire you have could have been added or changed before=
ss=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Linda Grunthaner <span =
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:grunthaner@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">g=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
. Now I don&#39;t want to sound stupid but will I get a 12 volt read if I p=
lace the multimeter leads one at the red power line and one at the black gr=
ound line and turn the key (which I will try this boring before work)?=C2=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM, Kevin Valentine <sp=
an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kevinv1275@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
 the fuel pump with a meter or test light to see if you have power there wh=
pump with the key on, =C2=A0 then either the ground is bad at the pump or t=
iv>On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Linda Grunthaner via Spridgets <span di=
r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank"=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid=
 ran my Sprite&#39;s fuel tank dry after driving her without a problem over=
 the weekend a short distance. It was my fault as I swapped to my old loose=
 gas cap during the day because it was &quot;pretty&quot; (for me pretty st=
upid) and that allowed the fuel tank with little gas to dry out. My Sprite =
ran fine until there was no fuel while sitting in the driveway today. I kno=
w my old 2 yr old Facet pump is dead because it no longer makes any noise =
=C2=A0which it always does when I turn the key prior to starting.</div><div=
 exact Facet pump &quot;Posi-Flow&quot; and installed it to the exact locat=
ion as the broken one. I connected everything exactly as the previous pump =
and put 2 gallons of gas in the tank, l reinstalled the rear wheel lowered =
the jack and reconnected the battery terminal. I turned the key and I get n=
othing, no sound what-so-ever. I have headlights the starter works and the =
blinkers too but I hear nothing out of the pump which is usually loud from =
hing wrong with the old one but I put 12 volts on it with another battery a=
morrow I&#39;m going to run another ground wire from the black ground on th=
e pump directly to the negative terminal of the battery to be sure I have c=
ontact for ground as it is only connected to the bolt as the prior pump was=
 and I will also run another wire to the red power on the pump directly to =
the positive terminal of the battery. Other than that I&#39;m stumped. I&#3=
 anything? Could the pump be bad? I&#39;m guessing yes but a long shot.</di=
v dir=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"font-size:small">&quot;Pay if forward&quot; in=
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
ets/kevinv1275@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/kevinv1275@gmail.com</a><br>
r=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"font-size:small">&quot;Pay if forward&quot; in hon=

--001a11c23452125dc5051b9fcb20--

--===============8325710880581643498==

spridgets@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive