Re: [Spridgets] Battery disconnect

To: MICHAEL ROWE <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Battery disconnect
From: brian via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:57:28 -0800
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--001a114209263feee905293ae7b2

If the negative is not hooked up, there is no "ground". Disconnecting
either side of the battery will eliminate the possibility of completing the
circuit (DC).  You are far more likely to contact an active ground while
unhooking the positive.  The manual is correct.
Brian

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM, MICHAEL ROWE via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Instructions for working on the gauges of my Toyota say remove the
> negative battery terminal.  This makes no sense to me.  It leaves all the
> hot wires live, so if your tool grounds one of them, it will spark.
> Removing the positive terminal eliminates this possibility.
>
> Some years ago, I put in a kill switch on the ground terminal, and the car
> would continue to run when the ground was open.  It only prevented
> starting.  In fact, this is one of the electrical tests mentioned by John
> Twist.
>
> All of my cars have a disconnect knob on the positive terminal.  Do I have
> this backward?
> Michael Rowe
>
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/daredelvis@gmail.com

--001a114209263feee905293ae7b2

&quot;. Disconnecting either side of the battery will eliminate the possibi=
lity of completing the circuit (DC).=C2=A0 You are far more likely to conta=
ct an active ground while unhooking the positive.=C2=A0 The manual is corre=
_quote">On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM, MICHAEL ROWE via Spridgets <span d=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-le=
ft:1ex">Instructions for working on the gauges of my Toyota say remove the =
negative battery terminal.=C2=A0 This makes no sense to me.=C2=A0 It leaves=
 all the hot wires live, so if your tool grounds one of them, it will spark=
.=C2=A0 Removing the positive terminal eliminates this possibility.<div><br=
and the car would continue to run when the ground was open.=C2=A0 It only p=
revented starting.=C2=A0 In fact, this is one of the electrical tests menti=
isconnect knob on the positive terminal.=C2=A0 Do I have this backward?</di=

Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>