Re: [Spridgets] Shining Silver

Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Shining Silver
From: Hal Faulkner via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 16:43:25 -0700
Cc: Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--001a113e8394acc1c1053015e00a

What Rick said.

Hal

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Rick Fisk via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Congratulations on 25 years!  Pretty impressive.  This list has been an
> important part of my car life for many years. but unfortunately it seems to
> be slipping away.  Fewer and fewer messages these days.  Too many of us are
> old farts and the younger guys seem to prefer the fancy colors and graphics
> of the web based car forums.
>
> Frank left us almost exactly five years ago and this list hasn't been the
> same ever since.  What I wouldn't give to read another rant on Chinese
> dung-forged parts.  :-)
>

> Sent from my keyboard
>
> > On Apr 8, 2016, at 4:14 PM, Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets <
> spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:
> >
> > A few years back Karen and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary,
> our Silver Anniversary as they call it.
> >
> > And coming up in just a few days on April 11th is Team.Net's Silver
> Anniversary.  Yes, on April 11, 1991 the domain was registered and went on
> the air.  In truth, it existed before that in the form of two mailing
> lists, british-cars and autox which were outgrowths of rec.autos Usenet
> groups. Murky history there.
> >
> > But Team.Net as we know it today has been around for a quarter of a
> century. Of the 60 some lists on the server, most are inactive. I may take
> some time this summer to clean up and remove any lists that have not seen
> any posts for N months, the value of N to be determined.  Some lists,
> though, are still going strong, soldiering on from the days when Team.Net
> lists and website were at the leading edge, the only game in town.  It was
> estimated that at the 1997 SCCA Solo II Nationals, their Silver
> Anniversary, roughly 2/3 of the 1,000+ participants were on the autox
> list.  If you check out http://autox.team.net you will find many pages
> last updated about 24.99 years ago, though, hardly leading edge now.  One
> of these days ...
> >
> > Who could have foreseen how a simple stream of 1s and 0s could be such a
> part of the lives of so many people, the catalyst for enduring friendships,
> a formidable source of knowledge and inspiration?  How many cars are on the
> road these days instead of the scrap heap because of us and our efforts
> over decades?
> >
> > Happy Birthday to us. and carry on!
> >
> > mjb.
> >
> > ps:  I am sending this out a few days early because on Monday I will be
> on the road somewhere between Phoenix and Salt Lake City.  I'll look into
> the multi-hour delay in posting when I return.
> [...]

=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 12:0=
4 PM, Rick Fisk via Spridgets <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sprid=
gets@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt;</sp=
an> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;=
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Mark,<br>
Congratulations on 25 years!=C2=A0 Pretty impressive.=C2=A0 This list has b=
een an important part of my car life for many years. but unfortunately it s=
eems to be slipping away.=C2=A0 Fewer and fewer messages these days.=C2=A0 =
Too many of us are old farts and the younger guys seem to prefer the fancy =
colors and graphics of the web based car forums.<br>
Frank left us almost exactly five years ago and this list hasn&#39;t been t=
he same ever since.=C2=A0 What I wouldn&#39;t give to read another rant on =
Chinese dung-forged parts.=C2=A0 :-)<br>
Sent from my keyboard<br>
&gt; On Apr 8, 2016, at 4:14 PM, Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; A few years back Karen and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, =
our Silver Anniversary as they call it.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; And coming up in just a few days on April 11th is Team.Net&#39;s Silve=
r Anniversary.=C2=A0 Yes, on April 11, 1991 the domain was registered and w=
ent on the air.=C2=A0 In truth, it existed before that in the form of two m=
ailing lists, british-cars and autox which were outgrowths of rec.autos Use=
net groups. Murky history there.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; But Team.Net as we know it today has been around for a quarter of a ce=
ntury. Of the 60 some lists on the server, most are inactive. I may take so=
me time this summer to clean up and remove any lists that have not seen any=
 posts for N months, the value of N to be determined.=C2=A0 Some lists, tho=
ugh, are still going strong, soldiering on from the days when Team.Net list=
s and website were at the leading edge, the only game in town.=C2=A0 It was=
 estimated that at the 1997 SCCA Solo II Nationals, their Silver Anniversar=
y, roughly 2/3 of the 1,000+ participants were on the autox list.=C2=A0 If =
you check out <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net</a> you will find many pages last updated=
 about 24.99 years ago, though, hardly leading edge now.=C2=A0 One of these=
 days ...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Who could have foreseen how a simple stream of 1s and 0s could be such=
 a part of the lives of so many people, the catalyst for enduring friendshi=
ps, a formidable source of knowledge and inspiration?=C2=A0 How many cars a=
re on the road these days instead of the scrap heap because of us and our e=
fforts over decades?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Happy Birthday to us. and carry on!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; mjb.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ps:=C2=A0 I am sending this out a few days early because on Monday I w=
ill be on the road somewhere between Phoenix and Salt Lake City.=C2=A0 I&#3=
9;ll look into the multi-hour delay in posting when I return.<br>
&gt; ------------------------<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</=
a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation: $12.75<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
&gt; Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targ=