Re: [Spridgets] Question about mating the transmission to the engine

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Question about mating the transmission to the engine
From: David Ambrose via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 23:14:34 -0700
I have an interesting follow-up:

We pulled it all apart. Without the clutch in place, the transmission
mates easily. The friction disk is a nice sliding fit on the
transmission shaft. Clearly the friction disk wasn't centered in the
clutch, despite having a clutch pilot.

It turns out that the friction disk is almost exactly the same diameter
as the clutch plate, so detecting center should be easy. Then I looked
at the transmission one more time.

There is a rubber inspection port on top of the bell housing. What do
you suppose that's for? Inspiration struck one evening, and we decided
to try something new. I mated the clutch to the flywheel, and hand
tightened the bolts. I was able to easily mate the transmission to the
engine. If you remove that rubber inspection cover, you can now get to
the clutch cover bolts to tighten them all. We have some more tightening
to do, but this is clearly the best method for getting that all
together. I wonder of this is how they built them at the factory? I've
never heard of anyone using this method, so I thought I'd put it out
there in case it helps someone.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose