Re: [Spridgets] Spridget 60 Final Report Highlights ELVF Road America

To: stanbmason@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Spridget 60 Final Report Highlights ELVF Road America
From: Erick Zanner via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 18:45:41 -0400
Cc: LotusGeorge@comcast.net, shaunfletcher@rocketmail.com, DaveSmith17015@comcast.net, ashleyburress27@gmail.com, bt7mk23000@yahoo.com, spritepa@aol.com, gerrybraz@outlook.com, bldan@bldan.com, kered_2004@yahoo.com, skip.meyer@ymail.com, edwforrest@gmail.com, humbr1@msn.com, RSPilot51@comcast.net, barrett10@sbcglobal.net, Viggen@bellsouth.net, spridgetech@ameritech.net, ATTLASTT@frontier.net, chezsmith09@att.net, TRUTH648@gmail.com, linder61@frontier.com, lewmcallan@gmail.com, tom.daly@westsidevw.com, LARSMG@aol.com, jeff.janda@thirdwavellc.com, chia219@comcast.net, windsurf00@att.net, steve@skunkriverresto.com, nbries1@gmail.com, BoseoGau@gmail.com, brian@stagecraftplayers.com, debo@ligtel.com, ccstickleback@yahoo.com, larrycdow@gmail.com, jeff@mozer.com, Bob.Lembcke@cox.net, oldcop47@hotmail.com, hcgracing@aol.com, pfitzsimmons@blairfitzsimmons.com, mkorody454@comcast.net, wsthompson@thicko.com, timshaw@ameritech.net, marlenehammondmichigan@yahoo.com, partrick@patrickbowling.com, Andrew.more.fsae@gmail.com, Spridget72@yahoo.com, engleltd@msn.com, buks62500@yahoo.com, zeke5550@aol.com, dbuchesky@gmail.com, mg72racer@juno.com, ron.bartell@comcast.net, oilonfloor@aol.com, SalisJE@comcast.net, Clancy@sunflower.com, richardwinder@sbcglobal.net, ridpath@email.unc.edu, jeffsbugeye@gmail.com, c3claymate@yahoo.com, dcb45@aol.com, Steve.Bisson@yahoo.com, hmkdds42@gmail.com, jbrase@hrtc.net, powrp@yahoo.com, jank9894@att.net, BJDavis@ourappraisal.com, dynamic881961@yahoo.com, cjracr@hotmail.com, jlutz3338@yahoo.com, donsgarage@charter.net, fishnet@essex1.com, King_Alex@msn.com, ronjokk@aol.com, bugeyedave@aol.com, Chris.Weaver@kohler.com, SARL45@hotmail.com, danceracer@bex.net, WRUnger0846@gmail.com, rerooks@sbcglobal.net, greglcory@luellc.com, Jeff@beacbook.com, dbrown07@aol.com, buzzmerk@yahoo.com, walt@freckmannart.com, bravenrace@yahoo.com, mcleve1@adelphia.net, christopher.beukema@gmail.com, W1979MGB@comcast.net, tmoran@moranconstruction.com, rankro69@gmail.com, SteveBest3131@gmail.com, ted@hoyes.com, allmarksdesign@gmail.com, mowogbill@yahoo.com, DR.MOSES@verizon.net, stine.jason@gmail.com, dstreed@idtenergy.com, deikis@gmail.com, dsweet3193@aol.com, scthsc47@gmail.com, THershey@frontiernet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, cseifert@tombrowninc.com, slowspridget@yahoo.com, thadevans@windstream.net, cana.comer@gmail.com, AZSPCITEAZ@yahoo.com, happykozfam@comcast.net, prewitt5@bellsouth.net, jjfreers@yahoo.com, amalin@mac.com, gary.perser@gmail.com, sallywallin@hotmail.com, JCohen@analysisgroup.com, k_hund59@yahoo.com, charlie@charles-hall.com, hotwrench1998@yahoo.com, ellie@stagecraftplayers.com, d_e_b2821@yahoo.com, kirkkos@yahoo.com, tedtsimx@q1.net, jbtruck@dwave.net, zirtz1214@yahoo.com, tyoung@co.ozaukee.wi.us, maxspeedwell773@gmail.com, vscda@vscda.org, mccormackr@hss.edu, rkansa@foundations.com, jbc930@gmail.com, SLUGTHEMTRHD@suddenlink.net, wc@spridget.com, allmedsys@bwig.net, tim@mcginleyinc.com, buckleyproperties@gmail.com, Dick@mgcarclub.com, jeff.bakker@yahoo.com, twright1976@hotmail.com, terry@toyshop-resto.com, Rogerbeitzel65@att.net, kekjacobsen@yahoo.com, HAN5L778@comcast.net, mgvadick@aol.com, RacingRed69Midget@rogers.com, sachemjoe@hotmail.com, colin@colinsclassicauto.com, ptgbhtl@aol.com, tcspeedwell@gmail.com, dbruce@taborbruce.com, jdonato@donatoandsonsmotors.com, spridget@comcast.net, nburress@gmail.com, brad.carloss@gmail.com, dyoung1947@yahoo.com, historichealeys@aol.com, justinprzybyl@gmail.com, nadadawgracing@yahoo.com

--000000000000ebb8350576e21988

This is great, thank you!
Well done Stan!!

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 6:15 PM <stanbmason@aol.com> wrote:

> Spridgetites,
>
> Well to say that the 60th Reunion Celebration of Sprites and Midgets was
> fantastic would be an understatement thanks to all of you we had 47 Racin=
> Spridgets, perfect weather, great car shows, fabulous Concours D=E2=80=99=
Elegance,
> Elkhart Lake Street Course, former Spridget racing celebrities and Peter
> Egan.  We had North America Racing Spridgets well covered with racers fro=
> Oregon to New York and Canada to Florida. My only regret was not having
> enough time for some of the presentations and too many mosquitos in
> abundance.   We had the majority of racers and street cars gathered near
> turn 5, which I had hoped would have been more exclusive for Spridgets.  =
It
> was difficult to contact those that were not in the area and parked in mo=
re
> remote sections.  I would like to thank all those that made this happen
> with special recognition for donations from Erick Zanner=E2=80=99s JDM In=
vestments,
> Clancy Schmidt both for awards and a surprise Austin Healey CDs from Bill
> Emerson.   I also appreciate all the volunteers counting ballots for car
> shows at Road America.
>  I will try to list all the fun chronologically and apologize if I did no=
> get all the names of those involved:
> 1.
> Thursday =E2=80=93 This was a test and tune day and many took advantage o=
f the
> extra time on the track prior to the weekend.  Some of us migrated down t=
> Siebken=E2=80=99s Bar in Elkhart Lake as part of the ritual of Sports Car=
 Heritage.
> [...]
> who had only seen them in magazines and Internet.  Many of these same car=
> made it to the Concours D=E2=80=99Elegance along with other world class c=
ars like
> Bugatti, XK Jaguars (celebrating 70 years) and other exceptional cars
> totaling over 100. The evening=E2=80=99s 60th Sprite and Midget Banquet w=
as a
> sold out crowd.  We asked those in the audience who had raced or assisted
> with a Sprite or Midget stand, about half the crowd stood amazing
> everyone.  Someone from the audience suggested that most of those that
> stood in the crowd probably worked on a Spridget resulting in loud
> laughter.  Road and Track sports car magazine=E2=80=99s Peter Egan was th=
e main
> event.  Peter=E2=80=99s presentation on primarily Sprites and his early r=
acing was
> interesting and provided much laughter from his dry wit.
> 4.
> Sunday =E2=80=93 Was equally as special having 20 Street Sprites and Inno=
centi for
> the opening lap prior to the 60th Spridget Race.  The display of 33 of
> the 47 Spridgets entered coming up to the Start Line was overwhelming to
> see.  I along with several others that experienced mechanical issues wish
> we could have been out there in this great display.  Peter Egan joined us
> again to distribute checkered flags for 1st Overall and Class 2d winner
> Colin Comer, 1st Class 2E Buzz Merchlewitz.  Robert Stearn was 1st in 2PC
> (special designate SCCA class) and was not present at our awards.  If
> anyone has a phone number or email for Robert please let me know and I wi=
ll
> make sure he receives his 60th checkered flag.
> 5.
> Overall this event exceeded my expectations and I saw many smiling faces
> throughout this beautiful weekend.  We had some apprehension over a
> combined SCCA / Vintage Sports Car Event for this special 60th
> celebration, which turned out well with very few incidents.  We are
> thankful that Cana Comer was not injured in her incident.  We had many
> former SCCA racers observing and some from behind the wheel.  One of my
> special privileges was to introduce 1974 SCCA HP National Champ John McCu=
> to one of his serious Central Division Rivals Phil Carpenter.  Both had b=
ig
> grins on their face from knowing each other in the past and enjoyed seein=
> each other after many decades.  We had many special family Spridget Racin=
> Heritage for the weekend with Clancy Schmidt putting together a Square Bo=
dy
> just in time and able to race with Son Scott.  Don Kelly was driving his
> Dad Jeff=E2=80=99s former racer and Jeff with his other Past Bug Eye Race=
r now
> restored as a Street Car.  John Salisbury brought his Dad=E2=80=99 old SC=
CA Bug Eye
> with his family driving this race car in many of the street events while
> John raced his Sprite throughout the weekend.  During the weekend John
> Seaman from the local PBS Station videoed many highlights of our 60th
> Sprite Reunion including interviews with various drivers.  He will be
> providing me with a copy of this CD when it becomes available and will ha=
ve
> a trailer that he will post to YouTube.  I will let you know through our
> email distribution about details when it becomes available.
> Sprite Midget Race Series =E2=80=93 You had a taste of what we do at VSCD=
A with
> our Sprite Midget Race Series and even though we don=E2=80=99t have 47 Sp=
ridgets
> show up for our races we average around 15 for our exclusive Spridget rac=
> at 3 tracks (Gingerman, Grattan and Black Hawk Farms) with fun wheel to
> wheel racing.  We maintain a Vintage Sports Car attitude with points
> awarded (2/3 durability and 1/3 for positon) with the best of 2 out of 3
> race weekends.  Please consider joining us in the future for the fun that
> we have on and off the track.  More details are available by contacting
> Stan (StanBMason@AOL.com)
>
> I have posted many photos of the 60th on Facebook Sites and will forward
> some through this distribution for some of you that may not be involved
> with FB.  Roger Smith also took some great shots at the beginnning of the
> Spridget 60 Start just before Start/Finish line on bridget that worked ou=
> well.  I will break these up and forward in the near future.
>
> Thanks
> Stan

--000000000000ebb8350576e21988

at 6:15 PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:stanbmason@aol.com";>stanbmason@aol.com</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 =
0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><font color=3D"black" s=
ize=3D"2" face=3D"arial">

ration of
Sprites and Midgets was fantastic would be an understatement thanks to all =
of
you we had 47 Racing Spridgets, perfect weather, great car shows, fabulous =
Concours
D=E2=80=99Elegance, Elkhart Lake Street Course, former Spridget racing cele=
brities and
Peter Egan.=C2=A0 We had North America Racing
Spridgets well covered with racers from Oregon to New York and Canada to
Florida. My only regret was not having enough time for some of the
presentations and too many mosquitos in abundance. =C2=A0=C2=A0We had the m=
ajority of racers and street cars
gathered near turn 5, which I had hoped would have been more exclusive for
Spridgets.=C2=A0 It was difficult to contact
those that were not in the area and parked in more remote sections.=C2=A0 I=
 would like to thank all those that made this
happen with special recognition for donations from Erick Zanner=E2=80=99s J=
DM
Investments, Clancy Schmidt both for awards and a surprise Austin Healey CD=
s from
Bill Emerson. =C2=A0=C2=A0I also appreciate all the
iv>

all the fun chronologically and apologize if I did not get all the names of

=3D"font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretch=
:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&=
quot;">=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</span></div>

=80=93 This was a test and tune day and many
took advantage of the extra time on the track prior to the weekend.=C2=A0 S=
ome of us migrated down to Siebken=E2=80=99s Bar in
iv>

e=3D"font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretc=
h:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman=
&quot;">=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</span></div>

=3D"font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretch=
:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&=
quot;"></span>Friday =E2=80=93 First day of practice and ending up
with the Track Welcome Party Dinner.=C2=A0 We
had approximately 20 to 30 race cars that displayed their cars in front of =
the
Road America Center prior to dinner where voting for the best Sprite and Mi=
dget
was determined by popular vote with awards handed out by Peter Egan.=C2=A0 =
This was also an opportunity to have the Cape
Of Good Hope Pub out for some fun Austin Healey History including Toasting =
the
Healeys for creating the car that we all enjoy today along with Queen Of
England followed by =E2=80=9CGod Save The Queen=E2=80=9D.=C2=A0=C2=A0
Severin Thompson Face Timed John Sprinzel so he could enjoy seeing the
festivities from Hawaii added to the fun of the evening.=C2=A0 John was res=
ponsible for the early success Sprites
had in racing and started Speedwell.=C2=A0 It
was fun seeing the Comer family (4 in total) all arriving in a Bug Eye Spri=
te
for the dinner and again shows family involvement in Vintage Sports Car Rac=
ing
being much more than just racing.=C2=A0

e=3D"font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretc=
h:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman=
&quot;">=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</span></div>

=80=93 Was a busy day as promised with a
Street Car Show, Elkhart Lake Street Course reenactment, Concours and 60<su=
p>th</sup>
Dinner Banquet.=C2=A0 It was great seeing
Peter Egan driving a beautiful MkII Sprite Works recreation of the 1962 Seb=
ring
Steve McQueen generously lent by Severin Thompson.=C2=A0 We had up to 40 ca=
rs mostly Sprites that
participated in the Street Car Show with the best Sprite and Midget selecte=
d by
popular vote.=C2=A0 It was great seeing so
many street and race Spridgets in one place.=C2=A0
Many of these cars were world class restorations with some beautiful stream=
line
special bodied Sprites present including 3 Speedwells and 1 WSM (Wilson Spr=
att
McManus) along with other unique Sprites like the 2 Italian Innocentis that
were Ghia body inspired.=C2=A0 These special
Sprites were a treat to many like myself who had only seen them in magazine=
and Internet.=C2=A0 Many of these same cars
made it to the Concours D=E2=80=99Elegance along with other world class car=
s like
Bugatti, XK Jaguars (celebrating 70 years) and other exceptional cars total=
ing
over 100. The evening=E2=80=99s 60<sup>th</sup> Sprite and Midget Banquet w=
as a sold
out crowd.=C2=A0 We asked those in the
audience who had raced or assisted with a Sprite or Midget stand, about hal=
the crowd stood amazing everyone.=C2=A0 Someone
from the audience suggested that most of those that stood in the crowd prob=
ably
worked on a Spridget resulting in loud laughter.=C2=A0 Road and Track sport=
s car magazine=E2=80=99s Peter
Egan was the main event.=C2=A0 Peter=E2=80=99s
presentation on primarily Sprites and his early racing was interesting and

e=3D"font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretc=
h:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman=
&quot;">=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</span></div>

=80=93 Was equally as special having 20 Street
Sprites and Innocenti for the opening lap prior to the 60<sup>th</sup> Spri=
dget
Race.=C2=A0 The display of 33 of the 47
Spridgets entered coming up to the Start Line was overwhelming to see.=C2=
=A0 I along with several others that experienced
mechanical issues wish we could have been out there in this great display.=
=C2=A0 Peter Egan joined us again to distribute
checkered flags for 1<sup>st</sup> Overall and Class 2d winner Colin Comer,=
 1<sup>st</sup>
Class 2E Buzz Merchlewitz.=C2=A0 Robert Stearn
was 1<sup>st</sup> in 2PC (special designate SCCA class) and was not presen=
t at
our awards.=C2=A0 If anyone has a phone number
or email for Robert please let me know and I will make sure he receives his=
 60<sup>th</sup>

=3D"font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretch=
:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&=
quot;">=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</span></div>

vent exceeded my expectations and
I saw many smiling faces throughout this beautiful weekend.=C2=A0 We had so=
me apprehension over a combined SCCA
/ Vintage Sports Car Event for this special 60<sup>th</sup> celebration, wh=
ich
turned out well with very few incidents.=C2=A0
We are thankful that Cana Comer was not injured in her incident.=C2=A0 We h=
ad many former SCCA racers observing and some
from behind the wheel.=C2=A0 One of my special
privileges was to introduce 1974 SCCA HP National Champ John McCue to one o=
his serious Central Division Rivals Phil Carpenter.=C2=A0 Both had big grin=
s on their face from knowing
each other in the past and enjoyed seeing each other after many decades.=C2=
=A0 We had many special family Spridget Racing
Heritage for the weekend with Clancy Schmidt putting together a Square Body
just in time and able to race with Son Scott.=C2=A0
Don Kelly was driving his Dad Jeff=E2=80=99s former racer and Jeff with his
other Past Bug Eye Racer now restored as a Street Car.=C2=A0 John Salisbury=
 brought his Dad=E2=80=99 old SCCA Bug
Eye with his family driving this race car in many of the street events whil=
John raced his Sprite throughout the weekend.=C2=A0 During the weekend John=
 Seaman from the local
PBS Station videoed many highlights of our 60<sup>th</sup> Sprite Reunion i=
ncluding
interviews with various drivers.=C2=A0 He will
be providing me with a copy of this CD when it becomes available and will h=
ave
a trailer that he will post to YouTube.=C2=A0
I will let you know through our email distribution about details when it

e of what we do at
VSCDA with our Sprite Midget Race Series and even though we don=E2=80=99t h=
ave 47
Spridgets show up for our races we average around 15 for our exclusive Spri=
dget
race at 3 tracks (Gingerman, Grattan and Black Hawk Farms) with fun wheel t=
wheel racing.=C2=A0 We maintain a Vintage
Sports Car attitude with points awarded (2/3 durability and 1/3 for positon=
)
with the best of 2 out of 3 race weekends.=C2=A0
Please consider joining us in the future for the fun that we have on and
off the track.=C2=A0 More details are

Sites and will forward some through this distribution for some of you that =
may not be involved with FB.=C2=A0 Roger Smith also took some great shots a=
t the beginnning of the Spridget 60 Start just before Start/Finish line on =
bridget that worked out well.=C2=A0 I will break these up and forward in th=
e near future.</div>

div>

--000000000000ebb8350576e21988--

--===============0641880315725324191==