Re: [Spridgets] Towing A Bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Towing A Bugeye
From: Bob Spruck via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:05:32 -0400

--------------ADF255D62BDDBC7BA4F1E16C

If you tow with the rear wheels on the ground, everything from the tires
to the clutch will be turning. I recommend you at least disconnect the
drive shaft at the diff flange so only the rear end rotates. Don't
forget to tie it up so it doesn't slip out of the transmission. Make
sure you have enough oil in the diff to lubricate the rear hub bearings.

Also, in my  experience, if you elevate the front of the car (as on the
dolly) you stand a good chance of the trans fluid running out the back,
depending on how good the rear seal and splined connection are.

Flat towing solves that problem but you still have to consider all the
rotating parts. I flat towed my Bugeye autocross car for many miles back
in the 60s and 70s behind my Barracuda 340 Formula S without any problems.

Bob

On 9/27/2019 2:51 PM, Michael MacLean via Spridgets wrote:
> I need to tow my Bugeye 50 miles from home and back.  I have a Datsun
> transmission.  Can I use a tow dolly for this?
> Mike MacLean
>
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/raspruck@gmail.com

--------------ADF255D62BDDBC7BA4F1E16C

  <head>
  </head>
          wheels on the ground, everything from the tires to the clutch
          will be turning. I recommend you at least disconnect the drive
          shaft at the diff flange so only the rear end rotates. Don't
          forget to tie it up so it doesn't slip out of the
          transmission. Make sure you have enough oil in the diff to
          lubricate the rear hub bearings.<br>
          you elevate the front of the car (as on the dolly) you stand a
          good chance of the trans fluid running out the back, depending
          on how good the rear seal and splined connection
          problem but you still have to consider all the rotating parts.
          I flat towed my Bugeye autocross car for many miles back in
          the 60s and 70s behind my Barracuda 340 Formula S without any
      via Spridgets wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:2098633508.517755.1569610267889@mail.yahoo.com">
        new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;">
          miles from home and back.  I have a Datsun transmission.  Can
          I use a tow dolly for this?</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">------------------------

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>