Re: [Spridgets] Birthday

To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Birthday
From: nory1--- via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 01:47:36 +0000 jci9UlFazqIV2cNuE1c5sZ0It9fX+oFDqWE7uT0lG9NHErIDJY5kc/iOj96q9dSdr5NT8I5qtk5zZgvMqgRBcp772EGvI9TrjEo=
Cc: 'Spridget' <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--=_7548c7d77611c6319bb61b13c379b5a6

I=E2=80=99m not as active on the list as I once was, but It was invaluab=
le=0Awhen I first got into this hobby. Thank you, Mark, for keeping it=
=0Aalive, and happy birthday. =0A-Nory=0A=0A=09-------------------------=
----------------From: "Mark J Bradakis via=0ASpridgets" =0ATo: "healeys@=
autox.team.net", "Spridget"=0ACc: =0ASent: Saturday April 11 2020 9:03:4=
4AM=0ASubject: [Spridgets] Birthday=0A=0AApril 11th. As many of you know=
, the domain team.net was officially =0A registered on April 11, 1991, b=
y the late Bill Caloccia. I have been =0A managing the mailing lists on=
 autox.team.net since then, actually for=0Aa =0A while before that. I to=
ok over from Jim Muller, who took over from =0A Dale Cook, and I wish I=
 had archives of those first few years.=0AActually =0A I may have some i=
n my office, on 1/4 inch tape cassettes. Every now=0Aand =0A then I cons=
ider trying to revive some of the old HP-UX boxes I have=0Ato =0A see if=
 I can still read any of those tapes. Maybe someday.=0A=0A Anyway, in th=
e beginning I was routing everything through the servers=0Aat =0A the Un=
iversity of Utah Computer Science Department, where I was =0A employed.=
 When my fellow sys admins started noticing just how much =0A network tr=
affic there was on a certain box, my boss strongly=0Asuggested I =0A mak=
e other arrangements. So I went about getting a network connection=0A=0A=
 at home. Back then, it was not that easy, or cheap. And as I recall,=
 =0A the first dedicated Team Net server was an HP box with one of the=
=0Afirst =0A 100+ megahertz CPUs, and even with a deal through HP, who w=
orked=0Aclosely =0A with the U in those days the system set me back abou=
t $2,500.=0AHardware =0A has improved since then. And that money didn't=
 all come out of my =0A pocket, I initiated a fund drive among the list=
 members and got a=0Agreat =0A response. Back then it was all checks in=
 the mail, and I mailed a=0Athank =0A you postcard to every contributor,=
 or at least most of them, no doubt=0AI =0A missed a few. And for some t=
ime there was an annual fund drive to=0Acover =0A the rather high cost o=
f having sufficient bandwidth from my house.=0A=0A So here it is 29 and=
 just everybody has fast network available to =0A them. I dropped the fu=
nd drives some years back, though folks do =0A continue to contribute to=
 the cause. Now a few clicks in Paypal can =0A take care of it, though s=
ome still prefer to send checks. Yep, things=0A=0A are different now. An=
d with the Covid-19 pandemic, a LOT different. =0A But the Team Net mail=
ing lists are still chugging along, providing=0Athose =0A spending more=
 time at home a bit of distraction, entertainment or =0A education as we=
 keep our beloved vehicles rolling along the roads.=0A=0A I plan to keep=
 it going as long as I can, who knows how many years I =0A have left. Ap=
ril 11th is also my birthday, 66 this year, and I =0A certainly won't li=
ve forever. And I fear that when I die, Team Net=0Awill =0A die. Sigh.=
=0A=0A But for now, enjoy and stay healthy.=0A=0A mjb.=0A=0A -----------=
-------------=0A=0A spridgets@autox.team.net=0A=0A Donate: http://www.te=
am.net/donate.html=0A /> Suggested annual donation: $12.75=0A=0A Archive=
:  =0A Unsubscribe/Manage:  =0A=0ALinks:=0A------=0A[1] http://www.team.=
net/pipermail/spridgets=0A

--=_7548c7d77611c6319bb61b13c379b5a6

 was invaluable when I first got into this hobby.&nbsp;<div>Thank you, M=
--------------------------------</p>From: "Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets=
" <spridgets@autox.team.net><br>To: "healeys@autox.team.net", "Spridget"=
s] Birthday<br><br>April 11th.&nbsp; As many of you know, the domain tea=
m.net was officially <br>=0Aregistered on April 11, 1991, by the late Bi=
ll Caloccia.&nbsp; I have been <br>=0Amanaging the mailing lists on auto=
x.team.net since then, actually for a <br>=0Awhile before that.&nbsp; I=
 took over&nbsp; from Jim Muller, who took over from <br>=0ADale Cook, a=
nd I wish I had archives of those first few years.&nbsp; Actually <br>=
=0AI may have some in my office, on 1/4 inch tape cassettes.&nbsp; Every=
 now and <br>=0Athen I consider trying to revive some of the old HP-UX b=
oxes I have to <br>=0Asee if I can still read any of those tapes.&nbsp;=
 Maybe someday.<br>=0A<br>=0AAnyway, in the beginning I was routing ever=
ything through the servers at <br>=0Athe University of Utah Computer Sci=
ence Department, where I was <br>=0Aemployed.&nbsp; When my fellow sys a=
dmins started noticing just how much <br>=0Anetwork traffic there was on=
 a certain box, my boss strongly suggested I <br>=0Amake other arrangeme=
nts.&nbsp; So I went about getting a network connection <br>=0Aat home.&=
nbsp; Back then, it was not that easy, or cheap.&nbsp; And as I recall,=
e first <br>=0A100+ megahertz CPUs, and even with a deal through HP, who=
 worked closely <br>=0Awith the U in those days the system set me back a=
bout $2,500.&nbsp; Hardware <br>=0Ahas improved since then.&nbsp; And th=
at money didn't all come out of my <br>=0Apocket, I initiated a fund dri=
ve among the list members and got a great <br>=0Aresponse.&nbsp; Back th=
en it was all checks in the mail, and I mailed a thank <br>=0Ayou postca=
rd to every contributor, or at least most of them, no doubt I <br>=0Amis=
sed a few.&nbsp; And for some time there was an annual fund drive to cov=
er <br>=0Athe rather high cost of having sufficient bandwidth from my ho=
use.<br>=0A<br>=0ASo here it is 29 and just everybody has fast network a=
vailable to <br>=0Athem.&nbsp;&nbsp; I dropped the fund drives some year=
s back, though folks do <br>=0Acontinue to contribute to the cause.&nbsp=
; Now a few clicks in Paypal can <br>=0Atake care of it, though some sti=
ll prefer to send checks. Yep, things <br>=0Aare different now.&nbsp; An=
d with the Covid-19 pandemic, a LOT different.&nbsp; <br>=0ABut the Team=
 Net mailing lists are still chugging along, providing those <br>=0Aspen=
ding more time at home a bit of distraction, entertainment or <br>=0Aedu=
cation as we keep our beloved vehicles rolling along the roads.<br>=0A<b=
r>=0AI plan to keep it going as long as I can, who knows how many years=
 I <br>=0Ahave left.&nbsp; April 11th is also my birthday, 66 this year,=
 and I <br>=0Acertainly won't live forever.&nbsp; And I fear that when I=
=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html&lt;br"; target=3D"_blank">http://www.=
team.net/donate.html<br< a=3D""> /&gt;=0ASuggested annual donation: $12.=
75<br>=0A<br>=0AArchive: </br<></a><a href=3D"http://www.team.net/piperm=
ail/spridgets" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets=
</a>  <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive&lt;br"; target=3D"_blank">=