Re: [Spridgets] [vSAAB] Trailer question

To: oldsaabguy <oldsaabguy@comcast.net>, vSAAB@groups.io, Spridgets via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] [vSAAB] Trailer question
From: crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:27:52 -0400

----_com.lge.email_215859917445750
   charset=utf-8

I have not seen this so far so I will ask.What is your trailer currently rated
at as far as GVW?   How much are you intending to increase the weight
capacity , over the alleged current GVW?  That might be a starting point to
determine if the axles can take the increased weight?My open trailer was
homebuilt based upon narrowed mobile home axles.   I have way more spring
than load I normally carry.   Although I have transported a couple 1959 caddy
convertibles and that was finally enough weight to make the springs work.2
factors of concern.   One being the stub axles ability to bear the extra
weight.   The other is the wheel rim and hub assembly combined to carry
cornering forces of the added weight.   People who tow a lot have remarked
about various trailer wheel rims cracking in the centers near lug nuts.  Also
can the hub casting support the cornering loads without cracking.ChuckSent from
my LG Mobile------ Original message------From: oldsaabguyDate: Sun, Apr 19,
2020 10:32 AMTo: vSAAB@groups.io;Spridgets via Spridgets;Cc: Subject:[vSAAB]
Trailer question
Good Morning,

I have a technical question about trailer axles and ratings.  I am trying to
decide if I can just put heavier duty springs on the axles I have to increase
the weight carrying capacity.

The axles are on the high side of the lower weight range and are thus larger in
diameter.  The manufacturer is no longer in the business of personal trailer
axles.  The new place wants me to give them data from  a data plate which these
axles do not have.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Lester

----_com.lge.email_215859917445750
   charset=utf-8

</head>
so I will ask.</div><div dir="auto">What is your trailer currently rated at as
far as GVW?&nbsp; &nbsp;How much are you intending to increase the weight
capacity , over the alleged current GVW?&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">That
might be a starting point to determine if the axles can take the increased
weight?</div><div dir="auto">My open trailer was homebuilt based upon narrowed
mobile home axles.&nbsp; &nbsp;I have way more spring than load I normally
carry.&nbsp; &nbsp;Although I have transported a couple 1959 caddy convertibles
and that was finally enough weight to make the springs work.</div><div
dir="auto">2 factors of concern.&nbsp; &nbsp;One being the stub axles ability
to bear the extra weight.&nbsp; &nbsp;The other is the wheel rim and hub
assembly combined to carry cornering forces of the added weight.&nbsp;
&nbsp;People who tow a lot have remarked about various trailer wheel rims
cracking in the centers near lug nuts.&nbsp; Also can the hub casting support
</b>oldsaabguy<oldsaabguy@comcast.net></oldsaabguy@comcast.net></div><div
</b><a href="mailto:vSAAB@groups.io";>vSAAB@groups.io</a>;Spridgets via
Good Morning,

I have a technical question about trailer axles and ratings.  I am trying to
decide if I can just put heavier duty springs on the axles I have to increase
the weight carrying capacity.

The axles are on the high side of the lower weight range and are thus larger in
diameter.  The manufacturer is no longer in the business of personal trailer
axles.  The new place wants me to give them data from  a data plate which these
axles do not have.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Lester