[Spridgets] Fwd: My car didn't start either - different reason.

To: Larry Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net> Zkn+5XEaTqCf9qsuyraTjtilBAofAPrd6bRqWHxi5Tek2v51a8Az/SRNbsiGJiJCGp+kUjnoMmCxPA==
Subject: [Spridgets] Fwd: My car didn't start either - different reason.
From: Alan via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2020 09:46:50 -0400

--Apple-Mail-05FC59DA-75C6-4D2A-8D0D-F4AB58BB4785
        charset=utf-8

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Alan <frogeye@cox.net>
> Date: July 4, 2020 at 9:46:10 AM EDT
> To: Tim Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
> Subject: Re:  [Spridgets] My car didn't start either - different reason.
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFI use a glass Purolator fuel filter with changeable inner cartrid=
ge.
> Keep it away from the heat of thecmanifold.
> That allows a visual of gas color and flow including any bubbles as or if g=
as moves to the floats
> That might help troubleshoot
> Alan
>=20
> Sent from my iPad
>=20
>>> On Jul 4, 2020, at 9:15 AM, Tim Collins via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.t=
eam.net> wrote:
>>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BF
>> Hi guys,
>> Vapor Lock
>> I was out for a ride yesterday in my 1966 Sprite to view damage caused by=
 the failure of two dams in my community. This meant driving through subdivi=
sions at low speed. Also, I stopped for about 10 minutes (engine off) to tal=
k to an acquaintance about damage to his home. I had a little trouble restar=
ting the car, but it did start.=20
>>=20
>> On the way home I stalled the engine at a stop light on a 4 lane artery (=
with center turn lane) and it wouldn't restart. Fortunately, traffic was lig=
ht and I had an opportunity to push the car into the service drive of a stri=
p mall. There happened to be a tree/shade at the entrance so I stopped there=
 and opened the hood and waited for the car to cool. (I suspected vapor lock=
.)
>>=20
>> The (new) fuel pump (Airtex E88016E) wasn't "tick - ticking", but I attri=
buted that to the plunger not being able to trigger the electronics because o=
f the fuel lock. I reminded myself that banging on the pump wouldn't work be=
cause there are no mechanical points in this pump.=20
>>=20
>> The air temp was near 90 deg. and I was parked on an asphalt lot - it was=
 hot! I found my way home with the help of a good Samaritan. (I'm one of the=
 last people in the world not to own a cell phone) Several hours later I wen=
t back with my wife - the Sprite still wouldn't start. I called a flatbed to=
w truck ($70 - about a 3 mile haul ) and got the car home. At home I turned t=
he key and heard the familiar tick, tick. Shortly thereafter, I tried starti=
ng the car. After a few tries things got cleared out and it started.=20
>>=20
>> Troubleshooting
>> The fuel in the tank is from last Fall (could have been a Winter blend) S=
hell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium. Probably too volatile for this heat. A fill up w=
ith Summer blend should help greatly. This is my #1 suspect for the cause of=
 the problem.
>>=20
>> I suspect that the vapor lock occurred either: 1) in the fuel bowls, 2) o=
r in the fuel filter (WIX 33031, metal can type), 3) or in the fuel line con=
necting the carbs (low chance) 4) or some combination of these. The fuel pum=
p is in a "cool" (factory) location so not a suspect. Fuel lines from the ta=
nk to carbs are in factory locations - away from the exhaust pipe.
>>=20
>> The fuel filter is about the size of the float bowl on the SU carbs. I'm w=
ondering if the size is too large thus allowing heat soak while the fuel spe=
nds too much time in the filter? What do you think?
>>=20
>> I should have walked to the grocery store in the strip mall and bought a g=
allon of water to try and cool the float bowls and fuel filter. Anyone had a=
ny success doing this?
>>=20
>> Your thoughts??
>>=20
>> ps: Someone stopped and said I needed a clothes pin on the fuel line. Evi=
dently some people believe in that as a fix. I can't imagine any science beh=
ind doing that.
ye@cox.net

--Apple-Mail-05FC59DA-75C6-4D2A-8D0D-F4AB58BB4785
        charset=utf-8

pe=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" cont=
ent=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8">I use a glass Purolator fuel filter with c=
hangeable inner cartridge.<div>Keep it away from the heat of thecmanifold.</=
div><div>That allows a visual of gas color and flow including any bubbles as=
kquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D=
"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Hi guys,</div><div class=3D"gmail_=
default" style=3D"font-size:large">Vapor Lock<br>I was out for a ride yester=
day in my 1966 Sprite to view damage caused by the failure of two dams in my=
 community. This meant driving through subdivisions at low speed. Also, I st=
opped for about 10 minutes (engine off) to talk to an acquaintance about dam=
age to his home. I had a little trouble restarting the car, but it did start=
. <br><br>On the way home I stalled the engine at a stop light on a 4 lane a=
rtery (with center turn lane) and it wouldn't restart. Fortunately, traffic w=
as light and I had an opportunity to push the car into the service drive of a=
 strip mall. There happened to be a tree/shade at the entrance so I stopped t=
here and opened the hood and waited for the car to cool. (I suspected vapor l=
ock.)<br><br>The (new) fuel pump (Airtex E88016E) wasn't "tick - ticking", b=
ut I attributed that to the plunger not being able to trigger the electronic=
s because of the fuel lock. I reminded myself that banging on the pump would=
n't work because there are no mechanical points in this pump. <br><br>The ai=
r temp was near 90 deg. and I was parked on an asphalt lot - it was hot! I f=
ound my way home with the help of a good Samaritan. (I'm one of the last peo=
ple in the world not to own a cell phone) Several hours later I went back wi=
th my wife - the Sprite still wouldn't start. I called a flatbed tow truck (=
$70 - about a 3 mile haul ) and got the car home. At home I turned the key a=
nd heard the familiar tick, tick. Shortly thereafter, I tried starting the c=
ar. After a few tries things got cleared out and it started. <br><br>Trouble=
shooting<br>The fuel in the tank is from last Fall (could have been a Winter=
 blend) Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium. Probably too volatile for this heat. A=
 fill up with Summer blend should help greatly. This is my #1 suspect for th=
e cause of the problem.<br><br>I suspect that the vapor lock occurred either=
: 1) in the fuel bowls, 2) or in the fuel filter (WIX 33031, metal can type)=
, 3) or in the fuel line connecting the carbs (low chance) 4) or some combin=
ation of these. The fuel pump is in a "cool" (factory) location so not a sus=
pect. Fuel lines from the tank to carbs are in factory locations - away from=
 the exhaust pipe.<br><br>The fuel filter is about the size of the float bow=
l on the SU carbs. I'm wondering if the size is too large thus allowing heat=
 soak while the fuel spends too much time in the filter? What do you think?<=
br><br>I should have walked to the grocery store in the strip mall and bough=
t a gallon of water to try and cool the float bowls and fuel filter. Anyone h=
efault" style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" sty=
le=3D"font-size:large">ps: Someone stopped and said I needed a clothes pin o=
n the fuel line. Evidently some people believe in that as a fix. I can't ima=
e: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/frogeye@cox.net</span><br=

--Apple-Mail-05FC59DA-75C6-4D2A-8D0D-F4AB58BB4785--

--===============3436730495869029306==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============3436730495869029306==--