[Spridgets] Clutching the difrence...

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Clutching the difrence...
From: crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:08:36 -0400
Cc: "EasternOshitGroup@groups.io" <EasternOshitGroup@groups.io>

----_com.lge.email_3973409350875534
   charset=utf-8

A Tilton race clutch on an alloy flywheel is within 1.015"-1.020 (shorter ) in
the assembled height from flywheel flange mount surface to the throwout bearing
contacts.Now what in the Sam Hill am I working on?I am attempting to mate a
Saab 900 annular throwout bearing assembly to a spridget rib case front
cover.  So far i got the Saab transmission case that the bearing assembly
mounts into. That piece of case is cut out so I can utilise it as a machined
mount for the bearing assembly.   My last unknown factor in doing this is how
high does the stock graphite bearing stand off the transmission front machined
area of the trans case.   That determines how much I need to drop or raise
the Saab unit to acomodate the Tilton assembled height.  If successful I would
have a very available off the shelf Saab part ( they are not very expensive!)
which with 3 bolts and 2 hydraulic lines can be changed if needed easily.  I
do realize someone with a large and or a milling machine can fabricate this.
 Also a company or 2 have something engineered.   The finances that are not
blooming or growing on trees around here dictate I do all the mock up &
fabrication work.   At the end it may come down to paying someone to tig weld
the mount to the rib case front cover.   OR!  Possibly not once I have a
target height for the assembly to fit into.  This adapter plate might end up
in a bolt in state.  Though I somewhat doubt it.So this is what the "please
measure the assembled height of a stock 1275 clutch " was about.  In the mean
time I was given a rusty ( pitted but for mock up use GREAT!)flywheel & I had a
damaged disc & pressure plate.  So!  I review I know there is a 1" difrence
in the 2 clutch assemblies.   Tilton being the shorter of the 2.   Now i
need to confirm the distance from the trans case machined flat where the front
cover mounts to the carbon throwout bearing pressure plate contact surface.
Then it's aluminum chips flying and die grinders grinding until I achieve the
desired hydraulic throwout bearings "at rest" height.Some fun...right?You
should have seen the engineering of the reverse lock out , shortening a shift
lever and turning it down for a shift knob and making the torque arm that links
the top of the transmisdion bellhousing to the drivers foot well.  And
modification of Mini minifin alloy drums to fit and on and on!   Making the
hood a road & track hood by simply removing 4 bolts for a at track lift off
hood yet retaining the hood on hinges as a street car.  The competition oil
pan gave me fits too!  It was for a small journal engine.  .i had to graft a
piece of 1275 pan onto it for the accommodation pf the 2" bearing bigger rear
main cap.  Make a windage tray and oil pickup and change the block to stud
attachment for the pan rather than bolts.  Also slightly modify ( relieve &
fabricate a piece of pan to weld in.) The pan to acomodate a spin on filter on
the engine.   I still have not limited the "drop" of the rear axle of the car
gets light or airborne in the rear!  Literally considering 2 pieces of
chain!The car looks like a 1970 Midget.   Right down to the rocker "MIDGET"
lettering and stainless molding between the black rockers & body color.  Thats
all chrome Mylar art work compliments of a late friend of the central Penn Saab
Club.  Lots of things to look at and wonder is it or is it not.... If I had
realistic ( right look & scale) door lock cylinder decals , I might consider
applying them too!  Still hunting for 3 ( i have 1) first design rostyle rims
( the style Frank did not care for) for street rims for the car.ChuckPlugging
awaySent from my LG Mobile
----_com.lge.email_3973409350875534
   charset=utf-8

</head>
alloy flywheel is within 1.015"-1.020 (shorter ) in the assembled height from
flywheel flange mount surface to the throwout bearing contacts.</div><div
dir="auto">Now what in the Sam Hill am I working on?</div><div dir="auto">I am
attempting to mate a Saab 900 annular throwout bearing assembly to a spridget
rib case front cover.&nbsp; So far i got the Saab transmission case that the
bearing assembly mounts into. That piece of case is cut out so I can utilise it
as a machined mount for the bearing assembly.&nbsp; &nbsp;</div><div
dir="auto">My last unknown factor in doing this is how high does the stock
graphite bearing stand off the transmission front machined area of the trans
case.&nbsp; &nbsp;That determines how much I need to drop or raise the Saab
unit to acomodate the Tilton assembled height.&nbsp; If successful I would have
a very available off the shelf Saab part ( they are not very expensive!) which
with 3 bolts and 2 hydraulic lines can be changed if needed
easily.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">I do realize someone with a large and
or a milling machine can fabricate this.&nbsp; &nbsp;Also a company or 2 have
something engineered.&nbsp; &nbsp;The finances that are not blooming or growing
on trees around here dictate I do all the mock up &amp; fabrication work.&nbsp;
&nbsp;At the end it may come down to paying someone to tig weld the mount to
the rib case front cover.&nbsp; &nbsp;OR!&nbsp; Possibly not once I have a
target height for the assembly to fit into.&nbsp; This adapter plate might end
up in a bolt in state.&nbsp; Though I somewhat doubt it.</div><div
dir="auto">So this is what the "please measure the assembled height of a stock
1275 clutch " was about.&nbsp; In the mean time I was given a rusty ( pitted
but for mock up use GREAT!)flywheel &amp; I had a damaged disc &amp; pressure
plate.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">So!&nbsp; I review I know there is a 1"
difrence in the 2 clutch assemblies.&nbsp; &nbsp;Tilton being the shorter of
the 2.&nbsp; &nbsp;Now i need to confirm the distance from the trans case
machined flat where the front cover mounts to the carbon throwout bearing
pressure plate contact surface.&nbsp; Then it's aluminum chips flying and die
grinders grinding until I achieve the desired hydraulic throwout bearings "at
should have seen the engineering of the reverse lock out , shortening a shift
lever and turning it down for a shift knob and making the torque arm that links
the top of the transmisdion bellhousing to the drivers foot well.&nbsp; And
modification of Mini minifin alloy drums to fit and on and on!&nbsp;
&nbsp;Making the hood a road &amp; track hood by simply removing 4 bolts for a
at track lift off hood yet retaining the hood on hinges as a street car.&nbsp;
The competition oil pan gave me fits too!&nbsp; It was for a small journal
engine.&nbsp; .i had to graft a piece of 1275 pan onto it for the accommodation
pf the 2" bearing bigger rear main cap.&nbsp; Make a windage tray and oil
pickup and change the block to stud attachment for the pan rather than
bolts.&nbsp; Also slightly modify ( relieve &amp; fabricate a piece of pan to
weld in.) The pan to acomodate a spin on filter on the engine.&nbsp; &nbsp;I
still have not limited the "drop" of the rear axle of the car gets light or
airborne in the rear!&nbsp; Literally considering 2 pieces of chain!</div><div
dir="auto">The car looks like a 1970 Midget.&nbsp; &nbsp;Right down to the
rocker "MIDGET" lettering and stainless molding between the black rockers &amp;
body color.&nbsp; Thats all chrome Mylar art work compliments of a late friend
of the central Penn Saab Club.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">Lots of things
to look at and wonder is it or is it not.... If I had realistic ( right look
&amp; scale) door lock cylinder decals , I might consider applying them
too!&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">Still hunting for 3 ( i have 1) first

--===============6331627197108850427==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============6331627197108850427==--